Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have an AMD K6 233 that I want to play around with as a server project. I want to start small and hopefully easy with a simple Samba server, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server Project

I have an AMD K6 233 that I want to play around with as a server project. I want to start small and hopefully easy with a simple Samba server, and gradually move up into FTP and webservers. I am just trying to learn how to do it so simple is good. What distro would be good to use for this project. I am somewhat familiar with Redhat and Fedora, but they don't seem to work with the old serial mouse on this computer. Any suggestions?

Any distro will do, you could do it all in the command line, or even remotly over ssh, then you will not need the mouse. But you should look at Slackware, Debian, and VectorLinux iirc is good with old hardware. I'm also sure it's possible to get the old mouse to work with FC, but it'd take some file editing.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Also, it is not all that common to run X on a server box, so maybe you don't need to worry so much about the mouse.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I prefer Slackware for my "old box" server distro. No X. No mouse. Just command line. And for sonic completeness, it helps if you get one of those loud old CLICK CLICK CLICK keyboards...

Linux Enthusiast
    You could also run Webmin on the box for remote administration and would be a little easier than doing it solely with CLI.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jjones
    I have an AMD K6 233 that I want to play around with as a server project. I want to start small and hopefully easy with a simple Samba server, and gradually move up into FTP and webservers. I am just trying to learn how to do it so simple is good. What distro would be good to use for this project. I am somewhat familiar with Redhat and Fedora, but they don't seem to work with the old serial mouse on this computer. Any suggestions?
    I would see about getting a copy of red hat 9.0 and not installing X as suggested. Red hat 9.0 will run fast on your machine it will be really easy to install and configure. I really like Red Hat's box sambas server. (less configuration for more features). It is really easy to set up. I can help you there are really 2 things you have to do to get samba started and a special way to add users and it will work.
    I can tell you but only if you ask. You sounded like you wanted to try this yourself.
    Good Luck and have fun,
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Enthusiast
    Most any distro will do the trick without X being installed. I would recommend a newer distro with the latest kernel. Once installed, Samba takes less than 15-minutes to setup.

I personally would reccommend debian as a starter server disrto. Mainly because APT will help alot with dpendancies and Debian can use very little disk space. I have a web, FTP, mail and samba server running on 450 mb of disk space. But that is only my prefrence you should use what you are used to.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Linux Enthusiast

Total footprint

Is that the total footprint for your OS installation?

Yes, I have my server set up with a footprint of 456.3 mb.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast