Find the answer to your Linux question:
well my problem is with the apache webserver; installed a complete apache package on my SuSE 10.0 OSS box and trying to get my website running from my server and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

apache prob,

well my problem is with the apache webserver;
    installed a complete apache package on my SuSE 10.0 OSS box and trying to get my website running from my server and I get this message
    "Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
    Error 403
    Sun Jan 1 23:32:48 2006
    Apache/2.0.54 (Linux/SUSE) "
    trying to get into my index.html and I get the error 404
    any suggestion?
    can you help!!

Linux Enthusiast
    Before posting, do some research. This problem has been addressed several times within the last month. Anyway, it appears that you are publishing a Web site that has an index page of the type .htm as compared to .html. If this is the case, you will have to edit the /etc/apache2/httpd.conf configuration file so that it reads default directory as index.htm instead of index.html. and index.html.var.

Prior to receiving your access denied messages, did you get the default Apache index file - stating that it was installed correctly? A little more info goes a long way.

Just Joined!
    Perhaps you need to chmod the map where the website is located. That was atleast what I had to do to make things work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close