Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Use it as a cluster, for added computing power.... Need to run SETI or anything?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Use it as a cluster, for added computing power....

Need to run SETI or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightMare
    Use it as a cluster, for added computing power....

Need to run SETI or anything?
    Nope!

The server is used as a fileserver (sharing files across local network) and as a printerserver (one printer for several computers). In my Windows' days, I used to have Win2000 Advanced Server up and running. But that was way to huge for our needs...

Anyway, looks to me that the problem is related to the increase of network speed...

Perhaps it's the way I shared the directory on the server:
    Code:
    Coruscant:/home/goodies/server	/home/server	nfs	rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr,soft
    Could it be related to the size of rsize or wsize ????

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If you think its network speed, how about using a 10 mips hub or cat 3 cable to test that idea?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by flw
    If you think its network speed, how about using a 10 mips hub or cat 3 cable to test that idea?
    After connecting the old 10mpbs hub, the copy problem/error message is gone.
    And of course when I reconnect the new 100mbps hub, copying gives the same "I/O-error" as result... arghhhh

When copying with the old hub, things go slower, so "everybody" has time to get things straight.... When I copy with the new hub the same movie file straight from the cdrom (my workstation) to the server, at 100mbps, no problems...
    Only if I copy it from harddisk (workstation) to harddisk (server), I get the error message.

Additional update...

After some Googling I think I have an idea what the problem might be (remember, being a LInux newbie, I could be wrong)...

I read that NFS with faster networks (100mbps) could drop packets and thus giving I/O errors...

Would another setup the server (filesharing) instead of NFS be better?
    And if so, what's the best option for me??? Any help??

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguardriver
    Additional update...

After some Googling I think I have an idea what the problem might be (remember, being a LInux newbie, I could be wrong)...

I read that NFS with faster networks (100mbps) could drop packets and thus giving I/O errors...

Would another setup the server (filesharing) instead of NFS be better?
    And if so, what's the best option for me??? Any help??
    Is NFS TCP or UDP? - specifically when transfering files, is it a TCP or UDP connection? TCP connections are reliable, UDP are not. If NFS is UDP, then try samba, or force the network card on your server to run at 10BaseT as opposed to 100BaseT - do this with "mii-tool" (see manpages).

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Or even a just a cat 3 cable.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    Is NFS TCP or UDP? - specifically when transfering files, is it a TCP or UDP connection? TCP connections are reliable, UDP are not. If NFS is UDP, then try samba, or force the network card on your server to run at 10BaseT as opposed to 100BaseT - do this with "mii-tool" (see manpages).

Jason
    As far as I know, it's TCP (I configured everything with unique IP numbers).

Or even a just a cat 3 cable.
    Using a cat3 cable or forcing the card to work on a speed off 10mbps isn't an option (I guess). After all, why have a infrastructure that's only used for 10%...

Someone suggested me to go for samba. Although I do not have any Windows machines anymore ( ) it's also good to use between Linux machines (so I'm told). Any reactions to that?

I do wonder how others have setup their local network (anyone?)...

Somewhere I read that a solution might be found in changing the rsize amd wsize to 1024 could solve it. Should it give no errors, just increase until it goes wrong and adjust... I will try that tomorrow.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The cat 3 cable is for testing the speed issue not a permanent solution. It's also a cheap test to run with no conf or hardware changes needed.
    Dan

The cat 3 cable is for testing the speed issue ...
    As I understood it (correct me if I'm wrong), a cat3 cable has only 4 wires (cat5 has 8 wires) and was used only for 10mbps networks.
    I tested the new network at 10mbps (with the old 10mbps hub) and then I had no copy problems...

So my options are as follows:
    1) use the old 10mbps hub and use NFS (easiest, nothing more to do) or
    2) go for the fast 100mbps hub and find an alternative for NFS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast