Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a home built server running out of my house with a dynamic ip. I'm using a dynamic dns service, so thats all good. The webserver, etc. is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy postfix send mail on port other than 25

Hi,

I have a home built server running out of my house with a dynamic ip. I'm using a dynamic dns service, so thats all good. The webserver, etc. is running fine.

I want to create my own mail server, and so I installed Postfix (no spamassasin, etc. etc.) and wanted to just get that working intially. I just learned that my ISP has port 25 blocked, so when I run from the command line:

sendmail xxxx@gmail.com

mail.log shows:

Jan 19 18:41:41 localhost postfix/smtp[10943]: connect to gsmtp83.google.com[66.249.83.27]: Connection timed out (port 25) Jan 19 18:42:11 localhost postfix/smtp[10943]: connect to gsmtp163.google.com[64.233.163.27]: Connection timed out (port 25)

Can someone please tell me how do I configure postfix to send email on another port, like 465?

Thank you

what kind of ISP blocks port 25? do they offer email access?

taken from http://www.seaglass.com/postfix/faq.html#chprt

16. How can I get Postfix to listen on a port other than 25?

Set the port in an smtpd entry in the master.cf file. You can change the existing smtpd entry or add an additional one depending on what you need.

An entry like the following causes Postfix to listen on port 10025:

10025 inet n - n - - smtpd

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jledhead
    what kind of ISP blocks port 25? do they offer email access?

10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
    as far as i understood, his ISP blocks outgoing connections on 25 port.
    connect to gsmtp83.google.com[66.249.83.27]: Connection timed out (port 25)

Speaking frankly, you can't do anything with it. Of course you can change the port postfix listens on, but you will not be able to send e-mail to the world as if your host had a full access. All real-world smtp server listen on 25th port. Maybe, your ISP has their own mail-server, which would serve as a smart-host to yours. Otherwise, there is no obvious way to solve that problem.

ps: i work in isp, and we close outgoing connectinos on 25th port if our client sends spam. maybe you should call support and ask them, if they can open port?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close