Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mySQL...Installed or not?

I have just installed the server package of RedHat Linux 7.1.
    I am trying to find mySQL on the system, but I can't, I have tried upgrading the system in order to reinstall mySQL but can't coz the stupid PC wont run the upgrade package!
    How do I find out whether or not mySQL is installed? oh, and does RedHat have mySQL on it, or not?

Thanks for any help...

Linux Guru
    London, UK
    open a terminal, and type "mysql". if you get command not found, its more than likely not installed.

If this is the case, go over to where you can download mysql.

I'm using RedHat as a testing server, but ihavent got the internet on it, however i do have the internet on my windows xp system, and that is linked to it, i spent 28 hours setting the damn thing up ! anyway, can i just map a drive in windows, and download the file in to the linux drive(s).
    Oh, and what dir should i install it to?

Thanks for any help

4. $spacer_open
    If you are dualbooting, you can download the mysql package to your ntfs harddisk and then mount it under Redhat. You could check this thread about that matter:

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    Mysql is shipped by default in redhats dsitributions, check your cd:s for mysql-*.rpm, also check you rpm-database and see if you have any mysql-package installed.

As root...

rpm -qa | grep mysql
    Also why redhat 7.1, why not 7.3 or redhat 9??