Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've setup an apacheserver on a linuxbox; and imported an existing mysql database. Problem i have is that in the database special characters like or are not shown, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    wza
    Just Joined!

problems with special characters and apache

i've setup an apacheserver on a linuxbox; and imported an existing mysql database. Problem i have is that in the database special characters like or are not shown, and the webserver doesn't seem to automatically encode them in the parsed output in a browser, instead i'm getting a questionmark symbol for every special character .

Since both the scripts and the data are an identical copy from another server that returned these characters correct even tho they're not encoded in the database, i suppose there is a configurationsetting or module in apache that automatically does this.

Anyone can point me into the right direction to do this?

Linux Guru
    are you sure they are in the database correctly? do they display correctly if you use the MySQL command line tool to select the data from the database? MySQL 4, 4.1 has much better internationalisation support than 3.x.

wza
    Just Joined!
    well, they are in the database without entities, 's and 's are stored like that. There wasn't any trouble with this on other servers, it appeared that special characters got encoded automatically by the server...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close