Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good Morning Everyone! Here is my most recent project. I work for a school district and one of the teachers wants to teach his students linux shell scripting and some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Education Development Server

Good Morning Everyone!

Here is my most recent project.

I work for a school district and one of the teachers wants to teach his students linux shell scripting and some basic C++ programming. If it was up to me I would tell him you dont need to teach this in middle school, but im just a pion and the boss said to make it work.

For security reasons I do not want to give anyone commandline access to any of my currently deployed servers. So I decided the best thing to do is build a new server with chrooted users, access to the required applications and offer telnet access to the server.

Has anyone ever built a server like this? I attempted chrooted user access a few months ago and it was not fun.

Any information on this type of server would be greatly appreciated.

If you need anymore information feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Mike

Just Joined!
    bump

so there is not a single person that has setup a server for this?

Linux User
    You could use the chroot enviroment....store user stuff their and offer ssh access to the chrooted partition. How ever ive only set up chroot enviroment in freebsd for a web and email server.

I would also take a back up of the chroot enviroment as well.

simplest way to do the firstpart is to created a folder in the root file system called chroot, could be called anything but keep it in the root file system.

then copy all the folder such as /etc, /bin, /sbi

change dir to the chroot and execute the env comman. I know im not an expert on jails in linux. alot more easier in freebsd, So can someone tell dex how to assign a chroot enviroment a IP address here
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!

Smile FreeBSD Jail

If you do end up deciding to use FreeBSD you should definetely use jails ...

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/09/04/jails.html

Linux User
    yep free bsd jails (chroots) are easier to config and freebsd is closer to unix(ok it is unix but we dont say that due to trademark reasons).

It comes with c compiler which is the same one that linux OSs use.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis