Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone explain the grief I'm having with ftp clients? I have webspace that I'm trying to upload to. If I use the "standard" ftp client (Fedora Core 2) or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    scm
    Linux Engineer

Wither FTP?

Can anyone explain the grief I'm having with ftp clients?

I have webspace that I'm trying to upload to. If I use the "standard" ftp client (Fedora Core 2) or sftp, it prompts me for a username, but I never get a password prompt (just hangs). If I use psftp, I get the password prompt, but the password is never accepted (and I know I'm typing it correctly). I can, however, use Filezilla to upload files, so what does Filezilla do that the psftp and ftp clients don't? I'd much prefer to use a "real" ftp than a "mother-knows-best" GUI client.

TIA,
    Steve

Linux Enthusiast
    First of all, SFTP and FTP are completely different things; so you want to first figure out which one you need. From what you said, it seems like it's probably FTP. What do you mean by the "standard ftp client"? Perhaps try giving different command-line options. Also, have you tried gFTP (a graphical FTP client)?

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon!
    First of all, SFTP and FTP are completely different things; so you want to first figure out which one you need. From what you said, it seems like it's probably FTP. What do you mean by the "standard ftp client"? Perhaps try giving different command-line options. Also, have you tried gFTP (a graphical FTP client)?
    Thanks for the reply, but can you explain why you say that sftp and ftp are completely different things? They're both ftp clients, the former being so-called "secure". By the "standard" ftp client, I mean the ftp rpm that installs in Fedora Core 2, ftp-0.17-2.

What different command-line options would you suggest? I've RTFMed and can't see any that will make a difference to the behaviour I'm seeing.

I haven't tried gFTP - I've used FileZilla and as I said in my original post, I don't like graphical clients; I'm happier with the command line, when I can get it working. What will gFTP give me that's different in connectivity from regular ftp?

it depends on your server is it a secure or not because they use different ports on the server to login to.
    serrure port = 22
    unsecure port = 21
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>