Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a site that provides free photos but I am having a serious problem with mail being sent from the site- about 1/2 of the emails sent never reach ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

desperately seeking help

I have a site that provides free photos but I am having a serious problem with mail being sent from the site- about 1/2 of the emails sent never reach the destination- but 1/2 do? Any emails sent by horde will go through but 1/2 from the site using php mail() any ideas? Out of 50 registers a day only 23 will actually work

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mconnors
    I have a site that provides free photos but I am having a serious problem with mail being sent from the site- about 1/2 of the emails sent never reach the destination- but 1/2 do? Any emails sent by horde will go through but 1/2 from the site using php mail() any ideas? Out of 50 registers a day only 23 will actually work
    AFAIK, PHP mail() uses sendmail; what does horde use? That might give you a clue.

Just Joined!
    Actually imp (horde), php, perl or anything else is going to use the system mailserver regardless of what's installed. We use Plesk which uses qmail instead of sendmail so a call sent to sendmail just hits a softlink to redirect to qmail.

In any case, it sounds like an authentication problem or possibly a misconfigured mailserver that is being rejected by anyone performing dns lookups. More and more people are requiring a reverse so if the ptr on the mailserver IP is missing or not correct, a lot of servers are going to reject the mail outright. If that was the case, the bounces should contain an obvious error code though.

Rick