Find the answer to your Linux question:
I administer a group of 25 windows 98se computers for an education program (read zero budget). I'm trying to find a way to eliminate floppy disks from my network, as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tall order for a samba server

I administer a group of 25 windows 98se computers for an education program (read zero budget). I'm trying to find a way to eliminate floppy disks from my network, as they are totally unreliable. Students often lose work because the disks eventually just fail.

It occurred to me that setting up a file server would make things easier in all regards. However I need some pretty specific things out of the file server.

1) I need the students to only have access to their individual files.
    2) Seeing as 98 has squat security all authentication would have to be on the server side.

I do not know if these are within the capabilities of samba. if they are, could someone suggest some resources I could look through to go about setting up a linux file server.

as far as distributions go I'm not tied to anyone in particular, but I am partial to unbuntu and mandriva as I've used them before.

Linux Enthusiast
    Either one of the distros will do the trick and it is better to stick to the one you are most familiar. Samba is more than capable in filling your needs with user level security. I would definitely recommend the use of Webmin for easy management of this server. If you need setup guidance, post in the server forum.

Well the official samba page is here, which contains all the info you could possibly need to configure your samba server. All the major distros come with samba ready for install, so it doesn't really matter which you use - you're probably better with something you're familiar with.

The basics of the scheme once samba is running would be:

1. create a unix user account on the file server, so everyone has a 'home' directory.

2. create a mapping between windows user names and unix user names (if needed - you can _force_ your users to use the same username/passwords on each system)

3. make sure all your windows 98 machines are set for user log-in.

4. Configure security - you have two options here, either turn on plain text passwords (absolutely fine on a closed network) in windows 98, or enable encrypted passwords on your samba server (for which you'll have to use the smbpasswd tool to insert samba passwords on the file server that match the one used in windows). Personally, for a small network behind a proper firewall, I'd turn on plain text passwords - it's a single registry entry on each win 98 machine.

5. make sure you file server has enough hard disk space for each user (fortunately a really _big_ hard disk is quite cheap these days).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    open filer a simple to use NAS server Which suports smb, nfs ftp and webdav controled by a Web based gui

free nas also very similar also controled by a web gui

These should make the process alot easier

It may reqire a bit of manual editing with openfiler (not sure about freenas). But you may be abble to host a NT4 style domain off the server. Last time i checked(i admit ages ago) 98 could athenticate against a nt4 domain
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis