PXE booting a client from a Linux server, the client gets the IP add. from the server, then the error.
To make sure it's not a hardware prob., I copied the server to another PC & booted a different client.
I was running atftpd in daemon mode & then I installed xinet & the error is still the same.
The log & ps shows that atftpd started & was running & now shows xinet is also working.
Log shows dhcpd gets 3 boot requests & then it acknowledges, then log says atftpd is serving the file: /tftpboot/pxelinux.0 on port 2070 & then on port 2071, which arn't standard PXE ports (4011 & 69 are). I've tried to find an app. that will give me the port number of the incoming boot request but no luck.
I've tried many different dhcpd.conf & xinet.conf arrangements & all it produces is different errors.

the dhcpd.conf:

allow booting;
allow bootp;
ddns-update-style none;
# ignore-client-updates;
authoritative;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
# range 192.168.0.11 192.168.0.90;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
option routers 192.168.0.1;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
option domain-name "puplan.net";

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

# Group the PXE bootable hosts together
group {
# option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";
next-server 192.168.0.102;
filename "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0";

host puppypc {
hardware ethernet 00:50:da:71:1f:c8;
fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
}
}
}

The line: option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient"; just causes another error, weard because that's what dhcp3 is suppost to use.

the xinet.conf I copied from a web page:

defaults
{
instances = 60
log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
log_on_success = HOST PID
log_on_failure = HOST
cps = 25 30
}
service tftp
{
socket_type = dgram
protocol = udp
wait = yes
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args = -v -s /tftpboot
# server_args = -s /tftpboot -u nobody
disable = no
}

There's a: /tftpboot link that points to: /mnt/home/tftpboot, I've checked it & it's good.
Server says it's serving the file (so it's found it), but the client doesn't get it, maybe after a good dhcp session, suddenly they're talking on different ports when the tftp transfer starts?
I don't see any way to tell xinet & atftpd to use a different port, even if I knew which one the client's using.
This is an oddball Linux distro, but I'm using Debian stable binaries, it seems to work well.
I've tried posting elsewhere with no luck, thought I might try you guys & see if anyone knows PXE & network booting.
If there's any other info that would help, say so & I'll try to get it to post here.