Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I know what I need, but have no idea how to set it up. I'm setting up a business network, there is going to be 3 computers. Computer A ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thin Client Help

Ok, I know what I need, but have no idea how to set it up.

I'm setting up a business network, there is going to be 3 computers. Computer A is the main focus of this thread, because it is going to act like a server, w/ PXE boot. So Comp. B & C boot both the OS, and apps from CompA. (Making sense so far?)

So the job of each comp
    A: server w/ pxe boot, os, all apps/programs
    B: boots over network from compA
    C: boots over network from compA

Please tell me if this dosn't make sense!
    I'm working w/ google.com/linux right now trying to find solutions but am not having much luck.

BTW, I didnt know where this topic should have been placed, so I posted in the lounge.

Thx,
    belliott

Linux Enthusiast
    No, doesn't make much sense. What OS will A be running and what applications will you be providing to B and C via A? Why thin clients? With today's low cost hardware, wouldn't it make more sense to make these thick clients and lock down the worksations? What OS environment are you going to be running? More information will be more helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    No, doesn't make much sense. What OS will A be running and what applications will you be providing to B and C via A? Why thin clients? With today's low cost hardware, wouldn't it make more sense to make these thick clients and lock down the worksations? What OS environment are you going to be running? More information will be more helpful!
    It makes a lot of sense. There are many reasons to go thin client - simple central administration, quick deployment and release of software, consistency, security etc. Plus new client hardware needs minimal setup and minimal components. No harddrives, probably no disk drives either. You also reduce the need for authentication across networks, you do all of the authentication on the host. It should be noted that thin client technology is on the rise, it is not simply harking back to mainframe setups, it makes a lot of sense it the business world. Anyway back to the question - I guess you will have seen 2x - This should support many of the usual TS/remote protocols. Any distro will ship with vnc or rdc which should fulfil most of your requirements.