Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Catfishforsupper Thank you for the 2 replies; I think the really knowledgeable people in this forum only converse with other knowledgeable people; the disrespect between Windows and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Catfishforsupper
    Thank you for the 2 replies; I think the really knowledgeable people in this forum only converse with other knowledgeable people; the disrespect between Windows and Linux users is really a two way street; your arrogance drives ignorant people like me into the hands of the greedy and evil corporate clutch out of desperation.
    i'd like to kindly disagree. i think it's because there are only around 12 people logged into the forums at a time...different people frequent different parts of the forum more often then others, and not everyone has experience with web hosting (or streaming). Linux users tend to be very willing to help if they know how to...they try to promote linux in any way and helping others (and the linux community) helps their goal. They are just normal people like you...this is just a hobby for most, and sometimes they just don't know the answer to a question.

I would have more than willingly helped you, but i have no experience with web hosting or streaming....i finally just set up a home server and am more than happy i did that.

just my .02 though

welcome to the forums...and, please, get to know the people at the forums before you jump to conclusions

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    i'd like to kindly disagree. i think it's because there are only around 12 people logged into the forums at a time...different people frequent different parts of the forum more often then others, and not everyone has experience with web hosting (or streaming). Linux users tend to be very willing to help if they know how to...they try to promote linux in any way and helping others (and the linux community) helps their goal. They are just normal people like you...this is just a hobby for most, and sometimes they just don't know the answer to a question.

I would have more than willingly helped you, but i have no experience with web hosting or streaming....i finally just set up a home server and am more than happy i did that.

just my .02 though

welcome to the forums...and, please, get to know the people at the forums before you jump to conclusions
    Thank you very much for that reply; I've got about 10 fish in the frying pan and will reply more fully a little later.

BTW, my middle name is bullfrog and I'm constantly croaking and jumping when I should just keep my big mouth shut and be still.

But boy do I want to do this myself and not rely on a paid service to host and stream for me.

Linux Enthusiast
    What exactly are you going to stream? How large of files and in what format? How many users are you expecting to serve? Etc... Etc...

We need to know a lot more about your situation rather than suggest our favorite distro. I run multiple Apache servers and given a little more information, can offer some suggestions. As for Windows Server, if it meets your needs, then go for it. I utilize both Windows and Linux in my network and both platforms possess both strengths and weaknesses. However, you will pay for licensing should you choose a particular route when of course, you have the free option readily available if you are willing to put forth some effort.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    In regards to servers that run Linux vs Windows, you might as well be comparing apples to airplanes. Linux does not require all of the resources needed to run as a very productive server. As with windows, you may have an easier time setting it up. The drawbacks for this is the cost of msoft products, and the cost of the much beefier hardware required to run the MS resource hogs. I have them both. I have a win2003 serv and a few linux servs. For the distro, it is a matter of choice, most of the time. As for the comments that you made regarding the knowledgeable people here at the forum, you are wrong. I read through the theads and I did not see a single arrogant comment directed at you. From what I read, everyone pretty much gave their own answer and distro preference to try and help you make a decision. Don't lash out just because you didn't get the answer that you were looking for. I have posted and not received that answer I wanted, but guess what.........I took the advise that was given to me by these so called arrogant people and applied it. You can't expect to learn everything about linux in a couple of days. By the way, I'm still a noob at linux not an expert so don't think that I am a msoft hater by no means.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    What exactly are you going to stream?
    Live talk show with callers and I plan to play MP3 music files.

How large of files and in what format?
    Music files very in size according to the song's length.

How many users are you expecting to serve?
    This is real tough one to answer. I don't know. Very small initially but ultimately I plan to be the # Internet Radio Show .

Etc... Etc...We need to know a lot more about your situation rather than suggest our favorite distro.
    Please be specific; I will answer every question I can if I know what you need to know to advise me.

I run multiple Apache servers and given a little more information, can offer some suggestions. As for Windows Server, if it meets your needs, then go for it. I utilize both Windows and Linux in my network and both platforms possess both strengths and weaknesses. However, you will pay for licensing should you choose a particular route when of course, you have the free option readily available if you are willing to put forth some effort.
    My timer just went off; I've got to get the pot pies out of the oven. More later.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by theogre5150
    As for the comments that you made regarding the knowledgeable people here at the forum, you are wrong.
    I don't presume to assert my knowledge about anything; I've come here looking for answers to my questions; you on the other hand seem to have a firm grip on everything.

I think it's obvious that Linux users are above average knowledge-wise and below average when it comes to communication; that's where Windows comes in, i.e, to exploit for excessive profit the ignorance of so many people like me; still, I'm surprised as long as Linux has been around there wouldn't be step by step 'how to' on setting up your own single server to stream audio and host websites; there probably is but I've just not found it yet; but I should be able to find it in this forum, don't you think?

Why not turn this thread into the how to I'm looking for? I'm a hard working and willing student; if you tell me what to do, I'll do it.

Back to my simple question regarding my hardware and software configuration; and to keep it really simple, let me focus on the hardware first; I'm currently talking with Dell and HP;

HARDWARE:

Do you recommend 32-bit or 64-bit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2