Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Problem statement: 1. HP Desktop PC running Windows XP (Processor Intel Pentium D 940 (3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB), Memory 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024), Hard Drive 250GB RAID 1 (2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Server only or server/desktop

Problem statement:

1. HP Desktop PC running Windows XP (Processor Intel Pentium D 940 (3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB), Memory 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024), Hard Drive 250GB RAID 1 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs))

2. Server - hosting websites and streaming video and audio

3. CentOS

How to configure the above? (I have purchased none of the above yet.) Is CentOS the right distro for hosting and streaming for a newbie to Linux? Is it possible and advisable to try and get CentOS installed on my Windows machine OR buy an independent server for my hosting and streaming and install CentOS on the server only?

Thank you.

I've found CentOS a little harder to configure for multimedia support than other distro's I use. As there are issues with shipping codecs for copyright material, you have to source them independently, and I've not found a repository that supports this for CentOS. For CentOS's cousin, Fedora Core, there are no such problems - you can get the codecs you need from a couple of different places (livna and others). You can, of course, download codec packages from elsewhere and install them, I just find it inconvenient.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    I've found CentOS a little harder to configure for multimedia support than other distro's I use. As there are issues with shipping codecs for copyright material, you have to source them independently, and I've not found a repository that supports this for CentOS. For CentOS's cousin, Fedora Core, there are no such problems - you can get the codecs you need from a couple of different places (livna and others). You can, of course, download codec packages from elsewhere and install them, I just find it inconvenient.
    You have provoked me into going back to square one in regard to which distro is the right distro for me; I've changed my mind about 4 times already; first it was Redhat, then it was Xandros, then Mandriva, then CentOS.

Question: What is the very best distro for a newbie to Linux who wants to host websites and stream from one server only?

Pretty much all distros will do what you want. Some are heavier, some are lighter and what is required of the user varies greatly. If you want something that is easy to configure (at least until you get your feet wet) then maybe try Suse,Mandriva or Mepis. All are great for hardware detection. Mandriva have gone a bit stingy and are pushing hard for sales, Suse is great but some consider it heavy (not me though) and Mepis is a good allrounder, Debian based. Suse has some of the better config tools, but Mandriva's are great also. I'm not really pushed on Red Hat distros like Fedora and Cent, but that's just preference.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Pretty much all distros will do what you want. Some are heavier, some are lighter and what is required of the user varies greatly. If you want something that is easy to configure (at least until you get your feet wet) then maybe try Suse,Mandriva or Mepis. All are great for hardware detection. Mandriva have gone a bit stingy and are pushing hard for sales, Suse is great but some consider it heavy (not me though) and Mepis is a good allrounder, Debian based. Suse has some of the better config tools, but Mandriva's are great also. I'm not really pushed on Red Hat distros like Fedora and Cent, but that's just preference.
    Streaming audio is what scares me most; I understand what you are saying and I think I could get any of them to work in time; but the streaming seems at present given my limited knowledge to be very tricky; and what about 32-bit versus 64-bit? I'm currently shopping for a server, any suggestions there? So many critical decisions.

Thank you.

Just Joined!
    Noting the closure of an old thread that I posted to let me append the following:

I'm a newbie to Linux and I'm searching for an answer to these questions:

What is the best distro to install on one server (should I choose 32-bit or 64 bit?) to host websites and stream audio?

I've taken that quiz for distros and it suggests Mandriva.

Once I have decided on the distro and architecture, how do I stream? I've been told Shoutcast is for amateurs but that's from one person and one person only; Shoutcast seems to have a rather large community of users; I think it a must to offer Windows Media Player; can't I offer both winamp and wmp?

Bottom line: I'm looking for a hardware and software configuration to stream audio and host websites from one server.

P.S. Is a Windows Media Encoder synonymous with a codec?

Just Joined!
    I'm now leaning strongly towards Windows Server 2003 because it seems to make streaming relative easy.

What I don't understand is why the paltry response in a Linux forum for a hardware and a software configuration? Or at least a link. Maybe I'm not asking the question in the right way. Okay, I'll try again:

I want to stream audio on a server. Please recommend a hardware and software configuration.

If your looking for audio streaming look into icecast.

Hardware wise anything will do - though if you expect heavy load etc. get beefier hardware.

I can't reconmend any distro in perticular, since they are all good and depends on the person if they like it. Though I'll say look into SuSE, Fedora and Ubuntu; if you want you could install each and play with them for a bit before you decide which you like best.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I have a webserver with which I use to stream audio. It is a relatively pain-free process. I use Debian.

First I installed apache and got my port forwarding straight. Then...

apt-get install libapache-mod-mp3

Minmial configuring and you're good to go. Not sure about streaming video, though. I don't have the bandwidth for that.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by KyKo
    I have a webserver with which I use to stream audio.
    Like the song, STOP RIGHT THERE . . .

What kind of server do you have? Dell, HP? 32 or 64 bit architecture? How fast is your processor? Do you have dual processors? How much memory? Hard disk size?

How much bandwidth do you stream per month?

Thank you for the 2 replies; I think the really knowledgeable people in this forum only converse with other knowledgeable people; the disrespect between Windows and Linux users is really a two way street; your arrogance drives ignorant people like me into the hands of the greedy and evil corporate clutch out of desperation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast