Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running redhat 9 and am trying to setup vsFTPd. I don't understand the need for an owner or group. Basically I want a setup with a bunch of users ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vsFTPd setup

I'm running redhat 9 and am trying to setup vsFTPd. I don't understand the need for an owner or group.

Basically I want a setup with a bunch of users that all have read/list to a folder (/ftp) and within that folder, have an upload. (/ftp/upload).

Is there a simple way to do this? I am able very simply to do it on my xp machine but i figure that on linux, it will be much more stable. (Even though serv-u on xp is like a rock.)

Can someone help me out?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Short answer on users and groups is someone real or a service must have full ownership of a file or dir for it to run. Otherwise the operating system wouldn't allow anyone to run or access the file/dir. This is true for Linux/NT/Netware etc...

Of coures not everyone needs full ownership of a service or file/dir to use them. So limited rights are used for this. Either on a individual or a group assignment basis.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

Re: vsFTPd setup

Quote Originally Posted by SPLMACHINEWORK
    I'm running redhat 9 and am trying to setup vsFTPd. I don't understand the need for an owner or group.

Basically I want a setup with a bunch of users that all have read/list to a folder (/ftp) and within that folder, have an upload. (/ftp/upload).

Is there a simple way to do this? I am able very simply to do it on my xp machine but i figure that on linux, it will be much more stable. (Even though serv-u on xp is like a rock.)

Can someone help me out?
    First, you must tell us what you have accomplished at this point. It's hard to guess what you need.

cheers!