Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking to provide only certain individuals in our organization with an intrasite website. However, they must provide a username and password to access the main (index.html) site. With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking to password protect main (index.html) site to select

I am looking to provide only certain individuals in our organization with an intrasite website. However, they must provide a username and password to access the main (index.html) site. With Windows IIS, it's a matter of selecting Basic Authentication and/or NTFS file permissions. Does anyone know how to password protect the main site with say: username temp and password temp? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as, I wasn't able to find this required information from a RH Web Server book.

Cordially,
    mtsal

Apache has very good docs -> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html

Just Joined!

Good information but outdated for newer version(s) of RH9

Thanks for the information. However, the info seems to be outdated and none of the paths seem to work on RH9 to create the .passwd file for the webserver on RH9. The book I purchased published by RH Press - Internet Servers has 2 sentences on the entire authenticating upon before viewing a web page/site. A pathetic waste of money on my end. Nonetheless, I'll keep plugging away. Any more informatio would be appreciated.

mtsal

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can assure you they are not out of dated what version of Apache are you using?

Just Joined!

Apache Version 1.3.23-11 on RH 7.3

I am currently running Apache version 1.3.23-11 . I did find htpasswd under /usr/bin rather than the location specified to me. Upon creating the password file and providing the passwords file path (/usr/bin/passwords) to the .htpasswd file, I am receiving a mod_put error. mod_put.so cannot be located. Is this something I can download? I tried the command: insmod mod_put.so or mod_put but insmod couldn't locate it?

mtsal

Its not a kernel module its an apache module you should use Google a bit more all the links i found in 2 secs on Google im not sure why im searching for you i must be in a good mood, And rember you can always use locate or find to findout where stuff is. Here is a link to an RPM -> http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/....3-2.ia64.html

Just Joined!

Got it to work. Thanks for the How To site...

I am now up and running for one of our departments tomorrow thanks to the site you provided me with. I had to look in a few different places but all is good.

mtsal