Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm trying to find out a way to connect with a debianserver at the office from home. The machine has been assigned a private ip (192.168.0.11), connecting with ssh from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    wza
    Just Joined!

connecting to server from outside lan?

i'm trying to find out a way to connect with a debianserver at the office from home. The machine has been assigned a private ip (192.168.0.11), connecting with ssh from inside the network works like a charm, is there a way i can make it accessible from outside the network? I think that thru tunneling i should be able to make this possible, was wondering if ne1 here ever managed to do a thing like this and perhaps give me a hint on how to start? tia

there should be a setting in your router that you can change and it will open up that port to the outside world. i have a dlink router at home and can access my server jst find from work here and it works like a charm
    what kind of router are you using and maybe some one can explain how to do it in that router
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

wza
    Just Joined!
    i'm running Freesco on an old pentium machine. Freesco is a small linuxdistro for routing that runs from a floppy, firewall can be configured in a webbased controlpanel:

TYPE [ tcp, udp ] ...
    PORT or lower range of PORTS ...
    to ADDR ...
    to PORT or upper Range of -PORTS ...

NOTE: To Forward a port range rather than a single port use a - in front of the (to) PORT like. From port 2300 to port -2400

well i dont know much about freesco so i cant help you on how to do it but i do know that what you will want to do is when the router gets a request on the port 22 for most ssh connections you will want to forward that on to your server box 192.168.0.11. and this should do it for you hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

wza
    Just Joined!
    works like a charm, didn't know it was going to be that easy... thank u kindly...

not problem, glad i could help
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com