Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to setup MySQL on my SuSE 10.0 machine and have it accessable from other machines on my network (which are behind a router). This is for a Java ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MySQL Server over the network

I want to setup MySQL on my SuSE 10.0 machine and have it accessable from other machines on my network (which are behind a router). This is for a Java project on which 2 other friends and I are working on.

MySQL is running fine. I can access it via 'localhost' on my machine. but if I put in my IP address in the connection string: 192.168.0.104 I cant access it from the same machine.. and so I assume that the other machines wont be able to access it either.

How do I set it up to be accessable through an IP or HostName??

Thanks..

Linux Enthusiast
    It sounds like a firewall issue. Disable the firewall or enable the appropriate ports that the daemon will utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    It sounds like a firewall issue. Disable the firewall or enable the appropriate ports that the daemon will utilize.
    My firewall is turned off. So im sure it cant be a firewall problem.

I did read online somewhere that there is some information that needs to be changed in the MySQL config files to indicate that this the host will be accessed from other machines too but it wasnt too clear abt what information to change... something to do with a 'bind_ip' setting in the config file..

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    I want to setup MySQL on my SuSE 10.0 machine and have it accessable from other machines on my network (which are behind a router). This is for a Java project on which 2 other friends and I are working on.

MySQL is running fine. I can access it via 'localhost' on my machine. but if I put in my IP address in the connection string: 192.168.0.104 I cant access it from the same machine.. and so I assume that the other machines wont be able to access it either.

How do I set it up to be accessable through an IP or HostName??

Thanks..
    Solved it..

The problem was not with any network settings but with the security settings of MySQL.

Users are allowed access from specified servers ONLY. So a user cannot login from any other host other than the ones specified in the MySQL User Table. Therefore the 1130 Errors "Host is not allowed to connect .." or "Access denied ..." or "Could not connect ..."

Solution was to create a user who has the ability to connect to the server from 'any' host.

Code:
    GRANT ALL on * TO '<username>' IDENTIFIED BY '<user password>'
    there is no need to FLUSH PRIVILEGES if <username> is a brand new account.

more here>> http://forums.devshed.com/mysql-help...ied-62184.html

Regards,
    gwyneth..