Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to opperate a mail server from my house. First question is what port do I need to open to access it from outside my house. Also how can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Help with sendmail

I want to opperate a mail server from my house. First question is what port do I need to open to access it from outside my house. Also how can I get to log in to my account from mozilla here is the error That I am getting.

Code:
    Could not connect to mail server localhost;  Connection refused.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    If you only want people to be able to send mail to your computer, you only have to open up port 25 (for SMTP). However, the trickiest thing about it is that you have to get a domain name that can host an MX record.

As for the connection refused error - are you actually running a mail server?

Linux User
    I started up sendmail. I've installed fetchmail. I've looked at dyndns.org can they house the name for the mail server if not then I'll stop now. Also how do I know that I've got sendmail working.
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    To check if sendmail is running, check "/sbin/pidof sendmail". To see if it's running correctly, check "netstat -antp | grep 25".
    I'm fairly sure that you won't need fetchmail, though. fetchmail is only for fetching remote mail over POP3 or IMAP to your local mailserver. I don't know exactly what you're going to do, though, so maybe I shouldn't say anything.

I have no idea if dyndns.org can do that, but I know that cjb.net can.

Linux User
    Code:
    adam@nestserv:~$ /sbin/pidof sendmail
    11220 6519
    adam@nestserv:~$ netstat -antp | grep 25
    (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
     will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN -
    That is what I got from running the commands. I looked at dyndns.org and the web site had a whole deal on mail exchange so I think I can do it through dyndns.org. What I want to do Is start up a mail server at my house that people can send mail to me and so I can retrieve the mail from a remote location.

Linux Guru
    Sendmail is obviously running as it should. It hits me that Mozilla probably doesn't have any trouble connecting to the SMTP port; it's probably having trouble connecting to the POP3 server, which you probably don't have running.
    You have to decide on which POP3 server (or IMAP, preferrably) that you want to run. Personally, I recommend uw-imap, which also comes with most RH distros.

Linux User
    I think I am going to use fetchmail. I have a slcakware distro. How do I setup fetchmail to run as a daemon at startup.

Linux Guru
    That depends on what you want to do with it. Fetchmail can do a plethora of things; what functionality do you want?

Linux User
    I want to be able to get a recieve mail for me and my whole family. I'm getting tired of the hotmail and yahoo mail servers. I want something I can controll. So I'm assuming that fetchmail will let me get mail from my server. I want my server open to recieve mail to.

Linux Guru
    The thing is that fetchmail is only for transferring mails from one server to another. It connects to a POP3 or IMAP server and delivers the mails to the local SMTP server.

If you only wish to receive mails that are sent to your domain, then sendmail is all you need, despite its somewhat misleading name.

To fetch mail from your server to the mail reader client, you just need to set up a POP3 or IMAP daemon on the same server.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast