Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Everyone, its been a while since i have last posted on this forum. My life has been rather cayotic and busy recently, so i have not really had any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Server and Asp files

Hey Everyone, its been a while since i have last posted on this forum. My life has been rather cayotic and busy recently, so i have not really had any spare time.

Well, anyways my question. If anyone remebers i was trying to start an HTML server way back a few months ago. Well, now that i have a little time, i once again tried to set this thing up. I ran into an HTML tutorial, that said that the simplest way for a computer to react to a user input (generated by an HTML page), is to use a .asp file. However, it seems that .asp files are very windowish, but do they work on linux to? Is there some software that I can download so that i can use asp files or is there some linux equivalent of asp files? Thanks in advance for the help.

Just Joined!
    Actually, the easiest way to develop web pages will be due in part to what technologies a person already knows. I am thinking perhaps you saw the comment because the person writing it may be familiar with ASP and therefore it would be easiest to them to develop web pages that way.

You are correct, ASP pages are a product of Microsoft and its Active Server Pages technology. If you really want to go this route, you might want to have a look at http://www.apache-asp.org/ which is an extension to the Apache web server sofware that runs on Linux allowing it to do some ASP type stuff. I have never personally worked with this product presented on the link, all I did was a quick search on google and found it. You want want to do your own search to see what you turn up.

You need to think about what you want to do with your web pages. If you are seeking to deliver just static pre-defined content that will hardly ever change, then basic HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) would be the way to go. HTML is portable to different operating system/web server technologies and so it will allow you to use the page on pretty much any web server.

If you are wanting to go beyond static fixed content and do things in a more dynamic mode, then what you would want to look at learning in addition to HTML is something called PHP. PHP is the web language used on most Linux setups and works very well with the Apache web server software that runs on Linux. It also works great with MySQL and other Open Source databases that run on Linx.

I would suggest a book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/013...87352?n=283155
    to help you get started. I just recieved my copy of it Thursday and have done only a little bit of reading, but I am finding it a great book for all levels of knowledge and experience. I have worked with PHP and MySQL quite a bit, but this book focuses in on the new PHP 5 version which I have not studied until now.

Hope this helps,
    Ira

Thanks for the help

So, i currently am making an HTML page for my server, and as you said i was hoping to add some more functionality to it. So, you think i should use PHP. Never used/seen it before, so i am worried that it will be hard to learn. I know a reasonable amount of Java, does PHP resemble java in some ways (Please say yes) and can it easily be incorporated with HTML (for example, some pages are HTML, and some use PHP?). I will do a little research myself when i find some time. Gotta finish a bunch of HW first

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What you will find if you work with multiple programming languages like I do, is that there are many areas where they are close to the same or use the same type of concepts that just have a different syntax from one another.

PHP is a language that is easy to learn and not overly complex. It was targeted for the purpose of being the glue that binds HTML pages and a database backend like MySQL together with the result being a dynamic web site. PHP is an Open Source language and there are many on-line resources available such as the home site of PHP found at http://www.php.net.

If you know Java then PHP should be fairly easy to pick up on. It, like Java, has a C style syntax. You can create PHP programs in any text based editor or you can use a full blown IDE. I personally have been looking at the Zend Studio professional IDE but someone in another forum here on line suggested I check out Eclipse (the free Open Source IDE) and the PHPEclipse plugin that allows you to do PHP programming inside of Eclipse. I am working on checking this one out at this time so I can't give an opinion on it just yet.

PHP is able to mixed with HTML coding in a web page, so you can do both types of programming in a single web page. You just have to use PHP tags to surround the PHP code so the Apache web server will parse out the code properly and replace it with the dynamic data it should render in that section of the web page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the information. I did not know that php can be programmed using eclipse. I already use eclipse for java, so that will be easy to use for me. Thanks again for all the links, and get ready to see me asking questions about incorporating php with apache

Do you have an IM? You sound like a knoledgable person that might be able to help me in the future. Send me a PM if you have an IM (too many abbreviations!!!), if not, whatever, I'll survive. Anyways, Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Since you already use Eclipse then I won't include a link for it. What someone in another forum on this discussion board mentioned to me was the PHPEclipse plugin, which can be found on Sourceforge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpeclipse/

I have looked at it some on Sourceforge, however, the download link does not seem to work at the moment. I am not sure what is up with that other than possibly it being down for servicing at this time. I hope to be able to download it this weekend sometime so I can start working with it, if not then I'll keep trying as I would like to evaluate it soon before my trial of Zend expires so I can compare the two to determine which one I want to use in my PHP work.

In terms of getting PHP to work with Apache, that should be pretty easy to do if you have your own Linux server and are in control of it. I noticed when I installed SuSE Linux on one of my machines that when I opted to activate Apache there were options to check which activated PHP for it and even let me choose which version of PHP to use. I would think no matter what distribution of Linux you use, getting PHP to work with Apache would be pretty easily done because it is targeted to work with Apache and so it should be easy to integrate, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get people to use it.

The only instant messenger account I have at this time is one targeted for work when I am in the office, so I don't give it out to anyone but co-workers. I am hoping that as I get things re-organized here at home in my 'computer room' I can do a messenger type thing where I can be on line real time some. For now I'll have to make do using forums and the like as I work toward getting things set up.

Thanks for the compliment, I am just someone who has been programming for awhile and have used a number of languagues to work in. I used to work in environments that were totally Unix based, and have gotten into the Windows world as well since where I work at went that route. I am actuall working now on studying for my first exam in a series of exams to earn my Microsoft .NET certification. Since I used to use Unix, I am finding Linux not that different. I may even work toward the PHP certification as well since where I work at I've just recently been handed some PHP based projects on top of my Microsoft .NET related ones.

Anyway, my point is that I truly enjoy the forums here and in some areas I'll be seeking the help of others and in return will gladly help out in other areas where my knowledge base is.

Quote Originally Posted by irasmith
    I have looked at it some on Sourceforge, however, the download link does not seem to work at the moment. I am not sure what is up with that other than possibly it being down for servicing at this time. I hope to be able to download it this weekend sometime so I can start working with it, if not then I'll keep trying as I would like to evaluate it soon before my trial of Zend expires so I can compare the two to determine which one I want to use in my PHP work.
    no worries about the link. I have seen days when source forge is down + I probably won't need PHP for a few more days, until i completely finish the HTML part of my page.

Quote Originally Posted by irasmith
    The only instant messenger account I have at this time is one targeted for work when I am in the office, so I don't give it out to anyone but co-workers.
    I get it...you use it to do "work" (aka-talk with co-workers instead of doing work)

Well, anyways thanks for the help so far. Keep an eye for more of my posts within the coming weeks. This is the 1st time i have set up a server, and i am a complete newb at it. so i am guessing that i will probably screw up.

Just Joined!
    Well, perhaps the Sourceforge download link for PHPeclipse is not working for a reason. I just now figured out how to use the update feature of Eclipse itself to go find the file. I read some instructions on how to do it from the PHPeclipse offical web site at http://phpeclipse.de/tiki-view_articles.php which told me how to do it. So I've just gotten it loaded in my copy of Eclipse and I hope to work on it some to see how Eclipse itself functions.

Yeah, on instant messaging I try not to use it on line when at home. I need the time at home to be able to work on my studies by reading the volumes of material as well as work on the computer to get practice at applying what I am learning. And well experimenting as well such as loading Eclipse and PHPeclipse as well.

Not a problem on it being your first time to set up a server. I just set up a server here, a Windows 2003 one, and have the hardware on order to build a second server, which will also be Windows 2003 loaded with their IIS6 web server to act as my in house web server to practice on for my Microsoft work. Still plotting out the hardware I want to get to build my full time Linux box on which to do my PHP work, until I get it I'll be using my Windows XP Pro laptop I suppose since I have just loaded MySQL 5 and PHP5 on it.

I'll most likely be frequenting these forums a lot myself as I work on building my own Linux box and incorporating it into my home network. So I am sure I'll be around just as much as you and for sure I'll be in this forum a lot because I'll need my Linux box to do both web server and database server work. I'm guessing more of our programming related posts will be in one of the other forums on this board that is more dedicated to programming