Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have a problem that more than likely has some simple solution that I might have overlooked. I have a linux machine and a windows machine that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

permissions issue. -Samba

Hello everyone, I have a problem that more than likely has some simple solution that I might have overlooked. I have a linux machine and a windows machine that I am trying to share files on. both computers are able to see each other, but my problem is that through programs, I am unable to save or modify files on my samba mount. for instance, if I am using Shake on my linux box, reading from my samba share on my xp box, I can read files, and modify files, but cannot save them to that same directory. I am just trying to figure out and understand this a bit better, because it would simplify my life a bit more. Thank you in advance to any response....

-Z

I'm a bit confused from your description as to whether the problem is that you can't write to the Windows XP directory or the samba directory.

If the former, then you have to, of course, check the permissions on your
    windows machine, by right clicking, left clicking Properties, and then seeing what the sharing permissions are.

If you can't write to the samba share, then you have to check the permissions on the Linux box.

One thing I have found is that if you use default permissions, if a directory is say, 770, owner and group can read and write, if one user from a group creates a file, another user from that group can't alter that file. To fix that you can use the force create mode and force directory mode.

Hope this helps a bit, but not sure if it does.

Unhappy

yes, I am having problems writing to my windows machine. I checked the permissions in the sharing tab first thing, and all is as should be, or so I think. I can't seem to fix this though I have tried a few things that I do know how to do...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So, the Windows share is mounted on the Linux box, correct?

In that case, the next step might be to try ls -l on the Windows share (from the LInux box) and see what it tells you. Permissions can be tricky, trickier than they should be.

Another thing to try, just to narrow down the problem. On the Linux box, mount the Windows share as Administrator on the Windows box and see if you can write it to it then.

Yes, that is correct, I have a separate box that I am running Windows on that has the files on it which I am trying to access from my linux box. Just for clarity, my roommates are able to see my share on their boxes and are able to edit files just fine. Also, I am able to acces this share from my mac, and read, write, whatever just fine. when I list the permissions on my linux box for the share, it comes up as:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root

So I am thinking that by having root own it is what is causing the problem? I am just starting to understand this permissions monster, thanks for your patience man...

I would try changing ownership to a group, maybe even wheel. There's a possibility that XP won't let you do that.

I've only run into this issue once, and as it was a situation where security was the least of my worries, I mounted the share on my Linux (actually a FreeBSD) box using the NT Admin password. Then I was able to write to it.

Just for fun, let's take it from the beginning. On the windows box, you have a user john, who can log into the windows box and write these files. (You haven't mentioned what O/S your roommates are using, nor whether the Mac is accessing the files as they're mounted on the LInux box or directly on the Windows box.)

In samba, security is user. You have a user john on the Linux box and you have added his WINDOWS, not his Linux password to smbpasswd. If you're using samba 2x with smbpasswd -a john. When it requests the password, you put in his password on the XP box--NOT the password on the Linux box.)

If using samba 3x then the command is pdbedit -a -u john

After doing this, just to be sure, we restart samba. john logs in freshly.

john is a member of the samba group. As root on the Linux box, try changing ownership of the directory

chown root:samba share

Oh, you should have done that before restarting samba, well, if you're doing this step by step curse me for being to lazy to scroll up and edit, and restart it again.

Hopefully, you'll be able to do that--that's where I'm not sure what XP will allow.

As I use FreeBSD most of the time, my memory is hazy on the usermod to add john to the samba group without removing his other memberships.

Hrrm, might be gpasswd -a john samba.

See if making all those changes help. Make the changes one at a time, to make sure you don't break anything else. In other words, after making each change, check that you can still do the things you've always been able to do.