Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the Intel Xeon processor. I can't seem to find any information on it other than the fact that it's used mainly in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Intel Pentium Xeon

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the Intel Xeon processor. I can't seem to find any information on it other than the fact that it's used mainly in servers and as a dual processor. I want to know if it can be used as a stand alone cpu and if anyone has ever used it on a desktop rather than a server/workstation. Also does someone know where I can find a benchmark comparison for the older slot 1 Pentium III Xeon processors?

i have a Xeon 2.4 Desktop. i really like it i feel it handles workloads better than a P4 of the same spec. The only downside to the one i have is that it has bigger fans to keep it cool so it is a little louder (i dont' really notice it much anymore)
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

I'll second that - we run almost all Xeons here, mostly dual cpu workstations and a bunch of rackmount farm machines. Solid, pricey workhorses that get the job done and take no guff. More recent releases for workstations actually got the sound level down quite a bit - they purr quite quietly if you want to spend the money. The next generation we start buying will likely be AMD, however, since it's impossible to ignore the price/performance difference anymore. As pumped as I am with the idea of running dual-dual-cores, I'm a little apprehensive because the old method "just worked". You could hammer them with soggy underwear and it kept clicking over. I hope the AMD's can handle it.

DT

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    i have a Xeon 2.4 Desktop. i really like it i feel it handles workloads better than a P4 of the same spec. The only downside to the one i have is that it has bigger fans to keep it cool so it is a little louder (i dont' really notice it much anymore)

I take it that you built yours?

it's a dell precision 450. i added a 128 MB Video card, Digital Sound Card, TV Tuner Card and it flies. everything i throw at it works and sounds great. i just don't play games so i dont' know how it would handle those. it records live tv really well though.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!