Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install a financial accounting system on my FC4 machine at home and access it from anywhere/outside. The current server installations include: HTTP, NFS, Samba and about half ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Remote access to applications

I want to install a financial accounting system on my FC4 machine at home and access it from anywhere/outside. The current server installations include: HTTP, NFS, Samba and about half of all services is switched on. I have the ability to open ports on the ADSL modem, but am not too familiar with configuring the firewall that comes with FC4.

Without going into the technical details and apart from password protecting the application, what are the steps to take in order for this to accomplish?

Thanks in advance

Tech

You could forward SSH's port (port 22) through your firewall and open that port up in your firewall. I know that FC5 has a graphical firewall interface that makes this a pretty easy thing to do, not sure about FC4. Then you could log in via the command line and run the app.

If you are going to be running it from a *nix machine with X installed, you should be able to see it graphically; if running it from a Windows machine, there are projects that would let you do the same - XliveCD comes to mind. You can either pop in the CD, let it autorun, and SSH from the bash prompt that appears, or you can install Xlive on your hard drive (it's based on CygWin).

You could also set up VNC, but that's a bit more complicated (unless FC has some kind of gui for it, which they may). Either way, just remember that crackers love to scan those ports and any time you open a port you're giving them more attack vectors.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Forgot to mention...if you go with the SSH way of doing things, you may want to change SSH's default port to something arbitrary and maybe even configure it to not let any non-trusted hosts in or disallow any connections not using your RSA key.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Thanks for your response Flatline and my subject title suggested a true remote access. I was thinking more along the lines of the application serving up webpages such that what the outside user needs is a browser with a https connection. Provided that I am able to open up the desired ports for that in the firewall and modem, is such a set up possible at all, or do I need to register the url (ie IP address) with a registrant first?

Thanks again in advance

Tech

If it's a static IP address, that shouldn't be too difficult (if the app is capable of serving up web pages). You can just point the browser at the IP address and go.

If it's a dynamic IP you could register it very cheaply with dyndns.org or some such and you're off and running.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux User
    Thanks flatline, I'll make sure the IP address is static and the app serves web pages.