Find the answer to your Linux question:
My setup: I have a dynamic ip assigned by my ISP My server is behind my router which reconciles to dynDNS. When someone types my dynDNS assigned web address, i.e.: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dynDNS and home server question

My setup: I have a dynamic ip assigned by my ISP My server is behind my router which reconciles to dynDNS. When someone types my dynDNS assigned web address, i.e.: www.homesite.com whatever. Did I screw up in assigning my host name and domain name to be something different than what was given to me by dynDNS? If I didn't make them equal am I screwed?
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    Did I screw up in assigning my host name and domain name to be something different than what was given to me by dynDNS?
    What do you mean by "my host name and domain name"?

When I was setting up the server with Debian 3.1, it asks for hostname and domain name on the initial install. When I installed apache and everything else it keeps referenceing my inputs and this was making me nervous as they don't match my dynDNS web address? - I realize I may be being an idiot here, but I don't know.

[edit] You know what I think I am an idiot. I think I am confusing local domain and internet domain. Is that correct?
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Enthusiast
    If you are behind a router it doesn't matter, as long as your dyndns setup resolves to your external IP address. If the dynamic DNS resolves to the IP address of your external interface then all you have to do is NAT/PAT your external port:80 to the internal IP address of your Web server. Irregardless of the server's name, as long as your HTTP service is listening on port:80 then all is well.

For example, we run 5 Web sites at my place of employment. All of my Web servers are running Apache and their hostnames are for example linux1.localsite; however, they answer all traffice for domain sampledomain.com. Most of your HTTP resolution occurs through NAT.