Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a linux newbee and I have been trying to do so many different things with linux, but don't seem to get anything done. Right now I'm trying to setup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Ubuntu Server

I'm a linux newbee and I have been trying to do so many different things with linux, but don't seem to get anything done. Right now I'm trying to setup a Ubuntu server at home, what do I have to do? I don't need my server to route, I just need all the rest of the server tools to work, but like I said before I'm new so I don't know how to do this. Another thing is that I really want to connect to my Ubuntu server through a Windows computer, is there a way to do this? I think there is but I'm not sure how it works. If any of you can help me I would appreciated. PLEASE HELP!!!

What is it you want your server to do? Do you want a file server, print server, mail server, web server, etc.... or all of the above?

For sharing files on a Windows network you will need Samba. I would recommend you do some reading on that first, and then follow the instructions on UbuntuGuide to get it up and running.

http://ubuntuguide.org/#sambaserver
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog