Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old computer running a Samba to serve some shared files. I want to run an FTP server as well to serve the same shared directory. I put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTP and Symbolic links

I have an old computer running a Samba to serve some shared files. I want to run an FTP server as well to serve the same shared directory. I put a symbolic link to the directory /shared in /var/ftp, but when I try to access the directory via ftp it won't change. When I do ls -l it shows the link to the directory with the proper permissions. Can anyone help me set this up so that I don't need to have two copies of the files on my server.

Why don't you just have the samba server share the same directory as the ftp server does?

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, however, at one point, setting up pure-ftpd on FreeBSD, I found that if I did something like
    Code:
    ln -s ../share
    It didn't work. However, if I typed the full path, eg

Code:
    ln -s /usr/ftpusers/share
    It worked. <shrug>

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Why don't you just have the samba server share the same directory as the ftp server does?
    The samba server is already setup and running, so I figured it would be easier if possible to use a sym link. If not then that is what I will have to do.