Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking as my next small project to setup an FTP server. I have searched google for setup help for vsFTPd however I have not gotten anything back that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vsFTPd

I am looking as my next small project to setup an FTP server. I have searched google for setup help for vsFTPd however I have not gotten anything back that seems really helpful other than small blurbs of information about this problem or that.

Is there a site out there that has information similar to the DNS how to, but for vsFTPd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Grim

Here, it has quite a lot information:
    http://tinyurl.com/2bgvs

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Ok I have the server setup. However I am a bit confused. I can not get the users to be able to get to another directory. They are into their home directories and that is as far as they can go.

What I am trying to do is have uploads go to one directory /ftp1. Downloadable content is in /ftp (this is not the /var/ftp). I would like to link to these folders so people could get to them.

I want everyone to be able to see what is in /ftp. Only myself and a couple others to be able to see what is in the /ftp1 folder.

I am not sure where to go from here. I am still really beginning with Linux and maybe I am taking too big of a chunk at once to try and do.

Thanks for any direction you may be able to give.

Just Joined!
    I can not get the users to be able to get to another directory. They are into their home directories and that is as far as they can go.
    Your users are chrooted (locked into their respective homedirs) like they should be.

I believe there's two things you could do:

1) Use the bind function:

Mount gives you a way to mount a dir into another directory, in your case
    /ftp & and /ftp1 in a users homedir.

first create the two dirs with "mkdir" and then mount them like:
    mount --bind /home/ftpuser/ftp /ftp

It would be better to put the binds in your /etc/fstab, so you don't have to do it again at reboots:

/home/ftpuser/ftp /ftp ext3 bind,defaults 0 0

now. as root, do mount -a, and your ftpusers should have access.
    I had a setup like this, and it worked fine, but I can't check if what I'm telling you is exactly right, because that server is offline at the moment. google some of these commands and just fiddle with them a little, would be my advise.

A better way, in my humble opinion, would be to use virtual users. The documentation for vsftpd (version 2.0.1) is here:
    http://vsftpd.beasts.org/#docs.
    (check the two links on the top of the page)
    For virtual users, see ftp://vsftpd.beasts.org/users/cevans...VIRTUAL_USERS/

good luck and have fun!