Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem I am having. I am syncing two servers to a master server using rsync. From one server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rsync: send_file cannot open sudoers error

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem I am having. I am syncing two servers to a master server using rsync. From one server the rsync works fine, no problems at all.

From the other server however, I get the following:

rsync -ar --verbose rsync://10.16.12.145/sync-dir /var/www/html
    receiving file list ... done
    send_files failed to open sudoers: Permission denied
    wrote 95 bytes read 209643 bytes 419476.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 213968062 speedup is 1020.17

I cannot determine what would possibly be causing this permissions issue. I have a standard unaltered sudoers file with permission:

-r--r----- 1 root root 580 Jan 25 2003 /etc/sudoers

This is the same permissions as on the working server. Furthermore, it is not a problem with resolution, as it connects and gets a file list, it just cannot open the sudoers file for some reason.

Has anyone run into this before? I'd sure love some insight from anyone that may have an idea what the problem is.

Another thing: this used to work for years but is now a problem and there is nothing (that I can think of) that has been done to the server recently.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I figured this out.

I thought the error somehow meant that the sudoers file located in /etc/ was somehow involved in rsync, and that rsync was failing due to this.

As it turns out rsync is working just fine, and that error was simply indicating that it was unable to copy a sudoers file that had been copied to the rsync root!!

Talk about a red herring.

Thanks for listening anyway.