Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know there's a pretty good chance I don't have something configured correctly. I have a few problems dealing with my mail server and I haven't a clue where to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sendmail and SquirrelMail issues. Please Help!

I know there's a pretty good chance I don't have something configured correctly. I have a few problems dealing with my mail server and I haven't a clue where to really begin.

My first problem involves Sendmail.
    I have sereral email addresses and users configured on my server. These accounts can recieve all mail no matter where they are (local network or externally from a remote location). They can send mail only when they are connected to my local network though. Whenever anybody attemptes to send or reply to a message from outside my network, the following error is generated:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'user@domain.sub' on 4/18/2006 9:00 AM
    550 5.7.1 <email address here>... Relaying denied
    I need to be able to configure Sendmail to only allow relaying for accounts that I have defined on my server.

My second issue is with SquirrelMail.
    Again, it uses Sendmail and it appears to work fine for retrieveing messages. However, when I attempt to send something, it attaches my domain name to the end of the To: address. Eventually, I get the following message in my Inbox:
    ** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
    ** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:35:37 -0400 from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

----- Transcript of session follows ----- <skuld-request@server.berkeley.edu.ayeka.net>... Deferred: Connection timed out with server.berkeley.edu.ayeka.net.
    Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
    A third issue I am having is at somepoint I think my DNS got messed up.
    I have some messages that get forwarded to my cell phone. These messages used to come up as apache@ayeka.net Now, they come up as apache@ddsl-216-196-236-106.fuse

Fourth, can anybody point me to a good easy setup for Spam Assassin?
    The first time I attempted to set this up, I never recieved any messages. I have since disabled this service, but I'm starting to get tired of all the spam I seem to recieving lately.

Any help anybody could give would be very apprieciated! Also, I can post any configurations that are needed.

Thank you!

Cooo - not much wrong here then!

Right, lets take this one at a time, because the Sendmail problem could be causing the other two issues you mention.

Firstly, how have you configured sendmail? You should be using an M4 file a bit like this:

Code:
    divert(0)
    include(`../m4/cf.m4')
    OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
    define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
    define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`<yourdomain>')dnl
    define(`ALIAS_FILE',`/etc/mail/aliases,/etc/mail/majordomo')dnl
    define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',`authwarnings,needmailhelo,noexpn,novrfy')dnl
    define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN',`4d')dnl
    define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN',`4h')dnl
    define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
    undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
    undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
    FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
    FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
    FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
    FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
    FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')dnl
    FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
    FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')dnl
    FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
    FEATURE(dnsbl,`cbl.abuseat.org',` Mail from $&(client_addr) rejected: see http://cbl.abuseat.org')dnl
    FEATURE(dnsbl,`relays.mail-abuse.org',` Mail from $&(client_addr) rejected; see http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss/')dnl
    MAILER(smtp)dnl
    MAILER(procmail)dnl
    which you put in /usr/share/sendmail-cf/domain and compile with:

Code:
    m4 <yourfile>.m4 > sendmail.cf
    and then put the sendmail.cf in your /etc/mail directory.

Also in your /etc/mail you shlould have a 'relay-domains' file which lists the domains you relay mail for, and a file called 'access' which should contain stuff a bit like this:

Code:
    localhost.localdomain           RELAY
    localhost                       RELAY
    127.0.0.1                       RELAY
    192.168.1.0/24                  RELAY
    If you get all that working right, you probably wont have any problems with squirrelmail. Once it's up and tested (get a few external account, such as yahoo, gmail, msn and the like to test it) you can then look at adding spamassassin support, although I use real time black hole support, as you can see from the above m4 config.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thank you. I was able to actually get this working, I found a problem with my hosts file!

I am still interested in getting spam assassin to work though, I did enable ordb and it works mostly, but I'm still getting a few spam messages.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Hey I am new to squirrel mail. I installed it and i can see if it is running. But how do i log in. I dont know my user name and password. DO i have to set it or do i get it somewhere. Any help would be great Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by pwfd2135
    Hey I am new to squirrel mail. I installed it and i can see if it is running. But how do i log in. I dont know my user name and password. DO i have to set it or do i get it somewhere. Any help would be great Thanks..
    You should use your regular username and password. If you're using it over the internet, I strongly recommend using the ssl module for squirrelmail.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Cant send mail from squirrelmail

Hi all,
    I can receive mails but when it comes to sending mails using squirrelmail.. it doesnt works.. Squirelmail doesnt give any error meesage not even in maillog..

what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance

Sanjay