Find the answer to your Linux question:
My work blocks such E-Mail access like sbc, yahoo, etc.. but I can get to like a exchange server and look at there mail. So I assume its only blocking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

E-Mail Server .. Feedback on a Idea I have

My work blocks such E-Mail access like sbc, yahoo, etc.. but I can get to like a exchange server and look at there mail. So I assume its only blocking certain ports.

What I would like to do is somehow set up a email server to dl my email from my sbc account and have it sent to a mail server similiar to exchange so I can access it from work.

Not sure where to begin or if this is at all feesable.

Linux Newbie
    Or you can set up a squid proxy server and use that to go to any webmail (or website, for that matter) that you choose. Your idea may work, but I have no real experience with email servers.

-Dan

Sounds like what you want is:

- Your own email/server box sat at home on your ADSL line, using fetchmail to read mail from your sbc and dumping into local mailboxes.
    - Dovecot or similar IMAP package to give you access to your email on that machine.
    - Maybe consider Squirrelmail too, to privide a web-based access to your email accounts on that machine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    DO you have any documentation or tutorials on squirrel mail. Because I am trying to set it up on my machine but i am not sure if my have IMAP running or if i set up squirrel correctly. Thanks

One step at a time, do it this way:

- Set up your mail server for local mailbox deliver, then
    - put your IMAP server on, check its operation with a client such as evolution or thunderbird, then
    - get squirrelmail to work, knowing that the underlying system is fully functional.

I set squirrelmail up reasonably quickly using the docs of their own website. You'll probably want to run the ssl module if you're opening your webmail out over the internet.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I went with qmail for the mail server and having a few problems setting it up.

Heres some relevant files:

cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.1 GenGate.GenNet GenGate

hostname --fqdn
    GenGate.GenNet

hostname
    GenGate

cat /var/qmail/control/me
    GenGate.GenNet

cat /var/qmail/control/defaultdomain
    GenGate.GenNet

cat /var/qmail/control/plusdomain
    GenGate.GenNet

cat /var/qmail/control/locals
    GenGate.GenNet

cat /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
    GenGate.GenNet

I can ping both GenGate and GenGate.GenNet just fine (locally).

There errors Im getting back at first was
    Sorry, I couldn't find any host named GenGate.GenGate.

So I added GenNet as my domain figureing it must need a domain and not seeing one it just doubled up on my hostname. After fixing all the above files ith .GenGate I tried a few more test e-mails and now get this message:

Return-Path: #@[]
    Delivered-To: zero@GenGate
    To: postmaster@GenGate
    Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at GenGate.
    I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce bounced!

<zero@GenGate.GenNet>:
    Sorry, I couldn't find any host named GenGate.GenNet.

These messages were sent as e-mails back to zero, which is who sent the test emails by:
    qmail-inject root << EOF
    test root e-mail!
    EOF

Did one to root,postmaster,zero .. got all 3 back saying the same. User zero is listed as the qmail-postmaster qmail-root qmail-daemon.

Just Joined!
    Looking over my post and this just kinda hit me.. If I getting the mail failure notices as e-mails.. wouldnt that mean the mail server is working fine??

Is this what I should be receiving back?

Just Joined!
    Well.. turns out that little problem was actually my dns server.. forgot to restart it. Restarted the mail server as well and that cleared up all remaining errors.