Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I've got a domain registered as example-domain.com and I'd like the email that comes from there to have the format user@example-domain.com . However, as it currently stands, all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

host/domain name question

Hi guys

I've got a domain registered as example-domain.com and I'd like the email that comes from there to have the format user@example-domain.com. However, as it currently stands, all emails that get sent from my mailserver are from user@mail.example-domain.com. How can I fix this such that my emails are properly formatted?

I'm using Postfix as my MTA and dovecot for all inbound mail management.

Is it because my actual server's hostname in /etc/hosts is mail.example-domain.com? Would it be better if I just called my box example-domain.com?

I think I understand what you're asking. Surely this is the 'reply address' setting in the users email application?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply -

I don't think that's the case, or else everyone's email would come from user@mail.whateverdomain.com and we'd each have to manually set up our address book to reply instead to user@whateverdomain.com and I've never in my time of using email had to do that

I've just manually set my Linux box's hostname to mydomain.com and now my mail's syntax is proper. I have no idea if this is the "official" way to set your Linux mailserver's hostname in order to achieve my desired result but it works and web service operations aren't affected negatively by that change.

The only outstanding issue left is that my POP3 server doesn't seem to work properly - when I login to my mailserver with Outlook or Evolution, it always tells me there is no email on the server even if I do have messages there. It's not a connection/port/firewall issue since I can connect, run the check, and then disconnect from inside the application - just I apparently never have mail. Any thoughts?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Huh?

Open evolution. Go to Edit->Preferences to bring up the config box. Select 'Mail Accounts' on the left, select your email account in the middle, then select 'Edit' on the right. Make sure the 'identity' tab is selected. The middle of this box, under 'Required information' are two fields, one for your name, the other for your email address. It is this email address that is used as the 'reply address' when you send an email.

In the email headers, it will list the various mail servers through which them email passed, but they dont affect the reply address you're using. If you use KMail, then you can set up different 'profiles', each with different name/reply email combos, which can use the same email connections, but where replies can be dealt with differently.

Just Joined!
    First of all, thanks guys for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.

This issue is most defninitely a server-side issue. Since all my email clients across windows and Linux don't see the email that's on my server and yet when I login to my server locally via pine I can see the messages there. My POP3 server isn't pointing the clients to the correct mail directory which I find odd since the config files state the correct mail path.

Regardless of how one chooses to have their email address displayed via outgoing mail in a client, the point here is that I cannot receive my own email via POP3 protocol off my own mailserver.

My original issue was simply that when my mailserver sent emails out, it sent them as user@whatevermylinuxboxhostnamewas, which I wanted as domain.com and I remedied that by simply changing the hostname to domain.com. I wasn't sure if that would mess up other Linux functions, but it seems to be ok now with the POP3 retrieval exception explained above.

What pop3 server are you using?

I have just swapped over to Dovecot, and I must say I'm pretty impressed (although I use it for IMAP, not pop3). There's plenty of information available through google about how to make it work with Postfix. Personally, I use sendmail, and I have no experience whatsoever with Postfix.

Just Joined!
    I'm using Dovecot as well for my pop3 services and I'm assuming that I've got postfix set up right since I can send and receive email from my server and it gets where it needs to go.

Do you suppose it's a simple /var/spool/mail permissions issue? As in, dovecot can't get permission to read my mail file so it just says I have no mail? What permissions have you set your /var/spool/mail to? I assume that regardless of the protocol, permissions must be set appropriately.

The permissions for /var/spool/mail were set on installation, and I've not touched them.

Code:
    [root@woody spool]# pwd
    /var/spool
    [root@woody spool]# ls -l
    total 112
    <...snip...>
    drwxrwxr-x  2 root   mail   4096 May  3 08:57 mail
    drwx------  2 root   mail   4096 May  3 08:57 mqueue
    <...snip...>
    [root@woody spool]#

Just Joined!
    Hmm.

My permissions are identical. It's quite frustrating to have dovecot set up, running as it should (in theory) and then not be able to use the damn thing.