Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to build the ultimate LAMP server, however I cannot find any decent documentation on how to do this. These are the specs that I would like. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LAMP Server

I am trying to build the ultimate LAMP server, however I cannot find any decent documentation on how to do this.

These are the specs that I would like. I am just wondering if anybody has any info that can help me out.

Applications:
    Ruby on Rails 1.1 (FastCGI Enabled)
    PHP 4.4.2 with Zend Optimizer
    PHP 5.1.2 with Zend Optimizer
    MySQL 4.1.15
    PostgreSQL 7.4.8-1
    Perl, Python, TCL and Binary CGI Support
    IBM Java SDK/JRE Maintenance Tools

Mailman MailList Software
    Three Web-based Email Solutions
    Exim Mail Anti-Virus
    Spam Assassin
    phpMyAdmin

Fantastico Script Manager
    Secure Shell (SSH v2)
    Compilers: Ruby, C, C++
    ImageMagick

Regards,

Chris

Wouldn't you just want to install each component in turn, rather than going through a process that'd need extra documentation? By which I mean install Red Hat, then install apache on it, then the database servers and so on, (tho some of the things on your list (eg C, C++ compilers) are bound to be included in your RH installation, so wouldn't need installing later). At each stage the thing you're installing will have its own docs, so I don't think you'd need much else.

Apologies if there's a good reason that I've missed why you don't want to/can't follow this step-by-step approach.
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!

Re LAMP Server

Try Ubuntu Server as the OS. You can have LAMP server running in a snap with all the great ubuntu support.

Linux Newbie
    www.lamphowto.com/lamp.htm
    Will tell the whole procedure for installation..
    Unix, Linux tips...

Quote Originally Posted by underdog512
    Try Ubuntu Server as the OS. You can have LAMP server running in a snap with all the great ubuntu support.
    Because Ubuntu is right for you, its right for everyone else, yes?

May I suggest that RedHat Enterprise Linux is perfectly up to this task, and if candrist wants to use that, then who are we to argue?

Of course, candrist, if you're planning to use RedHat 9 or earlier, then maybe you should consider a newer distribution; for LAMP you want a server distro, such as Debian, CentOS, RedHat Enterprise, SuSE Enterprise, or even (as underdog512 uses) Ubuntu server. And there are other server distributions you could consider - the best place to look is in distrowatch.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    Unix, Linux tips...