Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys i am just wondering what everybody thinks about security issues as for running a server with debian or with ubuntu(even though its based off of it...) Thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian vs Ubuntu

Hey guys i am just wondering what everybody thinks about security issues as for running a server with debian or with ubuntu(even though its based off of it...)

Thanks!

Security wise, you should have no more problems with one than with the other, provided you keep them fully up to date. Personally, I'd steer clear of Ubuntu because I dont like brown. But that's just aesthetics...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

You can secure both almost equally well (slight advantage debian imho), but I would always choose a pure debian stable over ubuntu for servers.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    If I were going server, I'd also go with Debian over Ubuntu... but that's just me! Everyone has an opinion, so maybe try both then make up your own mind.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks

Ok thanks, ill give debian a try seems more stable to me on the server side of things, but what about redhat? i heard that redhat has more kernel security...not as much kernel exploits as in debian...?

Thank You!
    Musya

Linux Enthusiast
    Have you considered CentOS for an enterprise worthy distro? CentOS is the same as RHEL 4 and is very stable.

CentOS / Whitebox / RHEL are all great choices and they have SELinux included by default for added security.

Just Joined!

SELinux

I believe ubuntu is part of SELinux, not sure about debain though.

Just Joined!
    debian would be a good choice for a server...especially with outside connections...
    but it is linux and you do have choice...
    start reading...what is more than important is your ability...
    if you know a distro well enough then you can make a lot of mod's to be secure...
    just be careful of distro's with limited stability and too many restrictions on what will work...(yeh i know i have mandriva and its a bit limited),,,but i use ubuntu and its fine but dont know wether it will be on the server soon or not...
    debian is fairly faithful...

yeh i know i have mandriva and its a bit limited
    Could you explain to me what limits you in Mandriva? Maybe it is not limiting you at all, but you simply don't know your way around with it.