Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a vps online that I use for backups there is Centos 4 os on no control panel at all no dns pointing to it I access it by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

server questions

I have a vps online that I use for backups there is Centos 4 os on no control panel at all no dns pointing to it I access it by ssh and the ip address and I would like to secure it close all ports that are not needed and stop all services on it that are not needed to run and set it up for just us logging in and uploading or downloading as needed with cute ftp or a program like it.

I would appreacte any information that you have to offer and if you need more information just ask and i will supply it if i can without giveing up security information for the server.
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>

instead of using something likke cuteftp, why not use ssh's scp command. With this, you can further lock down the pc not needing port 21 to be open for the FTP control, instead using the ssh configured port. Using SCP is fairly easy, from a linux computer in command line something like:
    Code:
    scp user@host:/path/to/file.ext .
    will copy the file "file.ext" from "/path/to/" on the remote machine located at "host" using the login name "user". When this is run, it'll ask for the password which will be "user"s password on the computer "host" not the local machine. Also, if using it with windows, you can use winscp, which when opened looks IMO very similar to a standard FTP client, but uses the ssh protocol. Sure there'd be linux equivelents of this if you so desired.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

And if you want to nail down the box even further, dont run the ssh daemon on the standard ssh port - pick a different one that you wont forget. The server port is defined in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and when connecting with the ssh tool, use the '-p <port>' option to use the right port.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    instead of using something likke cuteftp, why not use ssh's scp command. With this, you can further lock down the pc not needing port 21 to be open for the FTP control, instead using the ssh configured port. Using SCP is fairly easy, from a linux computer in command line something like:
    Code:
    scp user@host:/path/to/file.ext .
    will copy the file "file.ext" from "/path/to/" on the remote machine located at "host" using the login name "user". When this is run, it'll ask for the password which will be "user"s password on the computer "host" not the local machine. Also, if using it with windows, you can use winscp, which when opened looks IMO very similar to a standard FTP client, but uses the ssh protocol. Sure there'd be linux equivelents of this if you so desired.
    I use cute ftp for ssh on port 22 and that im going to change the port number.
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    And if you want to nail down the box even further, dont run the ssh daemon on the standard ssh port - pick a different one that you wont forget. The server port is defined in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and when connecting with the ssh tool, use the '-p <port>' option to use the right port.
    Just remember that with scp it's -P (note caps) for the port, not -p and also with scp it NEEDS to be specified BEFORE the files, not ANYWHERE in the command like ssh can be done
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327