Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi to all, I would like to create a media server for my home lan. I have converted my cd collection to mp3s and i would like to access it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux Media server

Hi to all,

I would like to create a media server for my home lan. I have converted my cd collection to mp3s and i would like to access it from every pc of the lan, without having to copy the files to every computer. I thought that i could use an old PC in order to store these files, and use linux in order to "serve" them.
    Some things about my network first. It's wireless and there are 3 computers on it 2 of which run Windows XP. The third one runs debian.
    I want all the users to have access (read only) to the server's folder where will be stored the mp3s and be able to listen to the song they want, without having to copy it first to their computer.

Is it possible to be done with samba ?
    If more than on users request a file at the same time will be there a problem?

Any idea is welcome...

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by efialtis
    Hi to all,

I would like to create a media server for my home lan. I have converted my cd collection to mp3s and i would like to access it from every pc of the lan, without having to copy the files to every computer. I thought that i could use an old PC in order to store these files, and use linux in order to "serve" them.
    Some things about my network first. It's wireless and there are 3 computers on it 2 of which run Windows XP. The third one runs debian.
    I want all the users to have access (read only) to the server's folder where will be stored the mp3s and be able to listen to the song they want, without having to copy it first to their computer.

Any idea is welcome...
    You can accomplish this by any number of methods, but the first two that come to mind is either setting up Samba or setting up an FTP server. Samba will serve the files in a manner just like any other network file share. VSFTPD will also fit this bill and will automatically be setup as read only - using the default setup.

I dont wish to sound disrespectful or anything, but, err... that's not media server you're setting up, it's a file server.

Samba is the perfect tool, there'd be no problems sharing the same file to all 3 computers, it'd all work seamlessly. I've set up samba many times and never had problems, it's quite easy.

And if you have plenty of disk space on your linux machine, you might want to consider re-ripping your music into FLAC format rather than mp3 - FLAC is a lossless audio compression, and you can get windows codecs for it pretty easy (I turned up two lots using google dead easy, one of 'em works with Windows media player - which was quite a surprise).

Now, if you really did want a media server that runs on Linux, then take a look here!
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Sounds like you are trying to setup something like Jinzora.

http://www.jinzora.org/

Maybe look into that.
    There's a good HowTo install it on www.howtoforge.com as well.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by efialtis View Post
    Hi to all,

Any idea is welcome...
    Hi.

A while ago I wrote a small music streaming application which can stream mp3-s directly to your music player. Maybe it helps

code.google.com/p/media-server/