Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for an e-mail server that will accept SMTP mail directed to it through an MX record or by direct IP, can store the e-mail, and then a POP3/IMAP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Email Server

I'm looking for an e-mail server that will accept SMTP mail directed to it through an MX record or by direct IP, can store the e-mail, and then a POP3/IMAP client can then retrieve it.

Most of the MTA's here seem to rely upon e-mail servers that are already established.

The second requirement (but separate from the first) is to have a normal MTA transfer capability that will simply interrogate an e-mail so that a PERL script can decide of it's authorized, if it is it will deliver it, if it isn't it will generate a warning and directions on how to get on the white list. BUT the MTA has to be able to save all mail directed to it to one folder only, so the script can look in this folder.

Know of anything that will do this?

What you really want is two seperate server tasks, the MTA and the email front end.

Personally, I use sendmail and Dovecot. I've had many years solid service out of sendmail, and while some think it's hard to configure, I found it a breeze. I only installed Dovecot recently, but I'm pretty impressed with it - it went in dead easy, and has worked faultlessly ever since.

Sendmail can forward mail through a script using the mail aliases, it's not particularly difficult. I'm not sure how some of the others do it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Sendmail can forward mail through a script using the mail aliases, it's not particularly difficult. I'm not sure how some of the others do it.
    Can it save the incoming mail to one single directory or even pipe it to another process/script before it sends it on, or back?

You pipe the email to a script or executable file, what that executable file does is out of the control of sendmail. If it's a script, I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you like...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/