Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I try to access my email on the localhost (either as root or as other user), I get a message that the connection was refused. I have the IMAP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Email From Localhost on RH9

When I try to access my email on the localhost (either as root or as other user), I get a message that the connection was refused. I have the IMAP rpm installed. I get the same message ('connection refused') whether I try to access the email via the email program that comes with RH9 or whether I type 'telnet localhost 110' from a terminal window, or whether I use Net::Pop3 in a perl script.

Why is this? What do I need to do to allow the server to allow access? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    IMAP listens on port 143, and uses the IMAP protocol, it is not a POP server.

You need something like popd installed to access your mail on 110/TCP.

Jason

Linux Guru
    AFAIK, the IMAP package comes with POP server as well. However, it's very possible that you need to enable it, since if I recall correctly, it's disabled by default. Check /etc/xinetd.d - there should be a file that is called pop3 or similarly in there. Check it out and see if "disable" is set to yes.