Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! I wanted to run my own weblog, so I installed Slackware with apache php and mysql on a box, full installation, but mysql refuses to start and php ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need a distribution with working php and mysql on apache

Hi all!

I wanted to run my own weblog, so I installed Slackware with apache php and mysql on a box, full installation, but mysql refuses to start and php is not configured and it's not working, tried my blog on it but php could not be found, reinstalled it tvice but same thing and mysql don't start even tough I set it to start, I doubt that mysql or php is configured prooper, and this put me in a tough spot since I don't know much about linux, and how to set these things up, my question is, is there any distribution with apache php and mysql that actually are configured to work right after the installation? I don't want to configure anything but my blog, I don't have the time or the knowledge

to not know much about linux you picked a good distribution to start with

Fedora can be installed with apache+php+mysql during the initial install and it works out of the box

Just Joined!
    I know, that distro sux! thanks for the advice, I will be trying Fedora core tonight

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't think that jledhead referred to slackware as being bad. I believe that the statement was referred to your linux level of expertise and the particular distro you chose. Slackware isn't as user friendly as say FC, Mandriva, or SuSE. All distros are mere linux, what makes them different is the particular kernal version and bundled applications.

Linux Enthusiast
    Missed the typo I meant to type kernel as compared to kernal.

Just Joined!
    I was just being sarcastic about slackware it's probably me that sux anyway, I have installed fedora core now, installation went smoothly with no errors and it looks pretty nice, but mysql, apache, and php don't seem to be up and running? and I have no clue how I can start them? I want them to start automaticly as a service, how do I do that?

Just Joined!

Apache-PHP-MySQL

Greetings,

Both the Apache and MySQL if being installed by an RPM starts automatically when the servers reboots. So, once your server reboot just check the status of both the services by issuing the following commands:

service httpd status & service mysqld status

Also, you can create a test phpinfo page in the DocumentRoot directory of yours defined in httpd.conf in order to check whether the php is being properly integrated with the apache or not. You need to write the following code
    <?
    phpinfo ();
    ?>

Also, the same page will show you the mysql module, if it does it means that the php, mysql and apache are integrated with each other properly.

Regards

Linux User
    Another option is to install any Linux distribution and subsequently XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html)