Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: I'm also a bit of a newb. I'm running fedora core 2 on a linux server at 1and1.com. I chose fedora core 2 because it was the only option ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mail server help

Hello:

I'm also a bit of a newb. I'm running fedora core 2 on a linux server at 1and1.com. I chose fedora core 2 because it was the only option that didn't make you use plesk, which was too restrictive.

Sendmail is working for the server to be able to generate outgoing emails, but incoming emails get bounced. I'm not sure what I need to do so email will get accepted, nor am I sure what i need to install in order to read and respond to incoming email. Is this something somebody could help me with? I think this would be a fairly simple job for somebody who knew what they were doing.

Bob

I gave some help related to much the same issue for Fedora Core 5 on this thread. It was for Fedora Core 5, not 2, but Sendmail is very very similar on these two distros (in fact the config I gave on that thread I used to use on my FC2 server before I went up to CentOS4!)

If you cant find what you need on there, post back here and ask specific questions, and we'll do what we can to help.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

I'll check it...

... thanks. I saw that post but stopped reading when the question started getting into postfix and a bunch of other products. Also, I was hoping (naively) that I could do something like "yum install exactlywhatIwant". But I read through your other post now and I think I may be able to muck my way through the process if I'm lucky.

Is that the setup that you would suggest for me: sendmail, dovecot, squirrelmail? In my case I am looking for a simple way to receive and respond to emails that come in through our website. It's likely that only two people will ever need to respond to emails at this domain, myself and my business partner. We'd like a web interface so that we can do this from anywhere and not just our desktops (like from our laptop on the beach when we quit our day jobs because our site has taken off... I digress). And I'd prefer that this whole email setup not be a resource or memory hog, as it's not a focus of our business.

Thanks,

Bob

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You may find it a lot easier to leave the email handled by the same people that are hosting your website. They often have email services that go hand-in-hand with their hosting. They might be able to forward any email to a particular address to your regular mail account too! That would be much less hassle.

Just Joined!

1and1

Sounds like you've never worked with 1and1.com. They're the cheapest host for a reason. Support is awful.

Anyway, their default is to have all email go through a shared server which worked just fine. The problem was yahoo was routing all of our emails to a bulk folder because the mail server didn't have the same domain as our web server. So I had to switch it to a local mail server to get them to whitelist us.

Just Joined!

Port 25

Hiya Roxoff:

Hope you're still there. I spent some time reading about sendmail and all this crazy stuff. I believe I have things configured to the point where incoming email should at least get re-routed to my personal email address hosted at gmail. I did this by adding the following line to /etc/aliases

root: [mypersonal emailaddress]@gmail.com

That should get just about everything, but at the very least I would think that any mail sent to root@mydomain.com should go to my gmail account. But that's not happening.

So I tried telnetting to my domain on port 25 and I got a connection refused response. I don't get it, sendmail is running. I checked my firewall settings and port 25 should be open (though for TCP protocol and not SMTP protocol, if that makes a difference). Any thoughts?

It would probably be quite revealing to take a look through the mail log, that should give you some hints about what is happening. The mail log is /var/log/maillog.

What is likely to be happening is that you're able to receive email, but it cant send. There could be a number of reasons for this; maybe it's not allowing you to relay email in this way, or maybe the DNS system isn't working right, or maybe you just need to specify a smart mail host for your sendmail to farm everything off to. The logs should provide some insight.