Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm in the process of setting up an internet server with redhat / apache / postfix on it and it's the first time I've done it and am quite ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BIND advice please

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up an internet server with redhat / apache / postfix on it and it's the first time I've done it and am quite confused about BIND.

I have registered a domain and have pointed the A records and the MX record to the new server and that seems to have worked fine. (ie. when I go to www.mynewdomain.com, it points to the server)

So from what I have read about DNS, it seems like a good idea to now configure the BIND DNS module on my server with the IP and domain name so that it knows what domain it is and can send out email from that domain.

I have read up a bit on BIND but there are so many features Im getting a bit confused by it all. All I need to do is associate a domain with an IP.

Can anyone advise me on how to do this or explain if I am getting this wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Alex =]

Surely, if you've already set up the A records and MX records, you already have a BIND server somewhere that is providing the name resolution you need.

You'd only need to set up BIND yourself if your mail server were also on a LAN (probably behind some kind of firewall) and needed to serve mail (pop3/IMAP, etc) to a series of machines.

As your name resolution is already available to the world at large on the internet, you'd only need to allow access to the local BIND for machines on the LAN (which is a good idea because BIND is a bit of a security hole).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your advice...

Would you be worried by these DNS results?

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...=fatdrop.co.uk

Alex

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    All those 'fail' and 'warn' events (apart from the one about the mailserver being down - which I assume is because you've not gone live yet) are things that the dns host needs to take care of. Maybe you should point 123-reg tech support to that page?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks...

I've emailed them and I'll wait for a reply...

alex =]