Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, i am running redhat 9 and am using sendmail. the problem that i have is that my isp blocks port 25. How can iset it up to work on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with using sendmail

HI, i am running redhat 9 and am using sendmail. the problem that i have is that my isp blocks port 25. How can iset it up to work on another port? because after i installled pop it only works if i type in the internal ip adress of my machine (192.168.0.154) if i type in the sites name with port 110 it says Error: 113 No route to host.

Linux Guru
    There is no point in running sendmail on another port than 25. If you do, nothing will know it's there anyway, since SMTP always must run on port 25. Try mailing your ISP and see if they're kind enough to unblock it.

Just Joined!

sorta

say my good gnuyak sir. i run smtp on both port 25 AND 26, and it works like, something that works really good. this is how it is done...

open your good 'ol sendmail.cf file in /etc/mail/ folder and go down a ways (it is on row 230 in my file) and you will see a header that says "SMTP daemon options" you will see that is says

Code:
    0 DaemonPortOptions=Port=25, Name=MTA
    well all you need to do is add

Code:
    0 DaemonPortOptions=Port=26, Name=MTA
    to that section.

Note: you MUST not delete the port 25 part though, you want the MTA to run on both ports, so you tell your mail program to send from 26. the wonder of this is that 25 is till open, so people can still send to you.

also, don't forget to reset sendmail for it to take affect!

let me know how it turns out

don't you just love loopholes?

Linux Guru
    I don't see what the problem would be? As long as you have sendmail listening to port 25, why would there be a problem?

This guy's problem was that his ISP was blocking people from connect to his port 25, and if that's the case then I'd say it doesn't matter if you listen to ten other ports - other MTAs will still try and connect to 25, which is blocked.

I'm sorry if I missed the point in your post.

Just Joined!

msn

using only logic, you are 100% right, but for some reason, it worked for me