Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I understand that sendmail can be configured to request user and password before it send an email or relay. Please can anyone help me to do this? Thank's a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail AUTHENTICATION?

Hi,

I understand that sendmail can be configured to request user and password before it send an email or relay.

Please can anyone help me to do this?

Thank's a lot!

Linux Guru
    You don't really have to configure anything special to do that - it's normally on by default. If anything, you may have to extend the trusted authentication methods. I don't really know which ones are on by default, but if you enable the "LOGIN" method you should probably be fine. You need to look up the lines in your sendmail.cf that begin with "O AuthMechanisms" and "C{TrustAuthMech}" and make sure that they contain the methods that you want.

Just Joined!
    If you have the sendmail.mc file there should be an entry in there like:

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
    By default it is not set to use plain authentication and only uses encrypted so change it to have the PLAIN and LOGIN entries.

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
    also set the auth options to A

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
    ad finally the trust auth mech needs to contain the LOGIN and PLAIN entries as well, as Dolda mentioned:

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
    Also make a note of the fact that any line begining with dnl (Do Not List) is switched off. Make sure you remove the dnl part from the beginning to enable the option. Once you have finished you need to compile it using m4

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
    but copy your sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc sideways before you begin in case you need to revert back.

finally retsart sendmail

. /etc/init.d/sendmail restart