Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know if it's ok to post a job related post in this forum If not, any advice on where I could post this would be great... I'm looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server Setup - I need someone to help

I don't know if it's ok to post a job related post in this forum If not, any advice on where I could post this would be great...

I'm looking for someone to help out with setting up a linux webserver running centOS 3.7, apache, qmail, mysql and PHP. I have been doing it myself but it's my first time doing it and would rather pay someone who knows what they're doing if I can find someone.

Everything is installed and it is mostly working but having some trouble with DNS, BIND9 and qmail.

I was trying to configure Postfix but then was advised that qmail would be better for sending out fairly large numbers of emails (which is what I need the server to do.) I have no real knowledge of different mail components and would welcome advice on this.

I have tried to set up DNS/BIND9 and have got our domain to point at our server but dnsdomainname() still shows easydserers.com as the FQDN and not our domain so it really needs to be looked at by someone that knows what they're doing and getting the DNS/BIND all fixed so that our domain is the FQDN.

With regards to the email addresses, we just need 2 email addresses configured with details of how we can retrieve email through pop3 and another email address that can send emails from PHP scripts.

I can give root SSH access to the server.

If you can help and are available (this week), please get in touch and let me know how much you would charge to do this.

Thanks, Alex

Rather than hire someone, you have to learn this stuff anyway if you're going to maintain this server. Perhaps doing this yourself with support from here would be better?

Firstly, lets look at that domain problem. Take a look in /etc/sysconfig/network, where your hostname is defined; further networking options are in /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. You can change the files to contain whatever you want. but, as this is CentOS, you'll probably find it easier to use the automated tools, try running:

Code:
    system-config-network
    which gives you a very useful control interface for the network parameters and the config of all the network cards in the system.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexStacey
    I don't know if it's ok to post a job related post in this forum If not, any advice on where I could post this would be great...

I'm looking for someone to help out with setting up a linux webserver running centOS 3.7, apache, qmail, mysql and PHP. I have been doing it myself but it's my first time doing it and would rather pay someone who knows what they're doing if I can find someone.

Everything is installed and it is mostly working but having some trouble with DNS, BIND9 and qmail.

I was trying to configure Postfix but then was advised that qmail would be better for sending out fairly large numbers of emails (which is what I need the server to do.) I have no real knowledge of different mail components and would welcome advice on this.

I have tried to set up DNS/BIND9 and have got our domain to point at our server but dnsdomainname() still shows easydserers.com as the FQDN and not our domain so it really needs to be looked at by someone that knows what they're doing and getting the DNS/BIND all fixed so that our domain is the FQDN.

With regards to the email addresses, we just need 2 email addresses configured with details of how we can retrieve email through pop3 and another email address that can send emails from PHP scripts.

I can give root SSH access to the server.

If you can help and are available (this week), please get in touch and let me know how much you would charge to do this.

Thanks, Alex

ahhh! NEVER give strangers root access! cardinal rule!

that's like finding someone on the street and saying "hey, i live in that huge mansion over there, and i'll be gone for a month. can you house-sit for me? make yourself at home, here are my keys."

that being said, the best thing is for you to copy your /etc/sysconfig/network info, your BIND info, etc. and paste it here.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies...

Roxoff, I took a look in /etc/sysconfig/network and it wa the wrong domain so I changed it. It's a step in the right direction.

I have now found someone who has offered to sort this all out for me for $100 which I think is quite reasonable so I'll probably get him to do it. I agree that it would be better if I learned this stuff myself but there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment.

I'm a painter by day and trying to build this website in the evenings and I've spent ages on the server and not really got anywhere when I could have been coding the actual site.

Jonny Bubonic, how could I get this guy to do work on he server without giving him the root password? I was thinking as long as I change the password when he's finished, it should be ok...? =/

alex =]

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies...

Roxoff, I took a look in /etc/sysconfig/network and it wa the wrong domain so I changed it. It's a step in the right direction.

I have now found someone who has offered to sort this all out for me for $100 which I think is quite reasonable so I'll probably get him to do it. I agree that it would be better if I learned this stuff myself but there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment.

I'm a painter by day and trying to build this website in the evenings and I've spent ages on the server and not really got anywhere when I could have been coding the actual site.

Jonny Bubonic, how could I get this guy to do work on he server without giving him the root password? I was thinking as long as I change the password when he's finished, it should be ok...? =/

alex =]

well, i mean...does this guy have credential? references? how many years of experience? etc.

but yeah, he will need it to do the work. but the think is that while he has access, he can create a user and then mask it- and log in any time he wants. without you knowing. : / i was kind of encouraging you to teach yourself- i can help you look for texts and documentation if you'd like. it takes time, yes, but anything worth time does i think.

Just Joined!
    He seems ok (although I only have a few emails to go by!) This is him: http://www.ifreelance.com/provider/d...roviderid=8878

I didn't know about masked users. You've made me a little paranoid now!

I really don't know what to do now. I'm trying to assess if it is worth me paying someone who I don't really know. I've got it almost set up ok. The DNS is working (I think) and I have now set up the 3 email accounts (2 personal and one to send emails from PHP scripts) but I haven't managed to collect the personal ones through pop3 or send emails from PHP.

I've got to go to work now. Back in a while. Thanks for the encouragement. (sp?)

Alex =]

Just Joined!
    BTW, that freelance guy has not used qmail much and is suggesting I use Postfix instead because he can set it up better.

BTW, that freelance guy has not used qmail much and is suggesting I use Postfix instead because he can set it up better.
    Interesting. But I have posted two complete sample Sendmail configs on these forums over the last six weeks.

Let me have one last go at urging you:

- Your web server may take a couple of hours to configure
    - Your mail server may take a hour to configure and an hour to test

and doing it yourself means you save just $100?

Nope, you save more than that, 'cos next time you want to put in a new service, you know a bit about your system. If you want to go to a new version of apache, you know your system. If you want to add new features to your web pages (server-side includes, php, etc.) you know your system. You're not relying on someone else who you cant wholly trust to do your system admin.

You may be busy beyond belief, but having your server work smoothly as your own responsibility will mean you save time in the long run - no more chasing around trying to find an IT contractor when you need changes or when something goes wrong.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/