Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, here's the situation. Wanting to setup a Ubuntu 6.06 server to run a mid-size Web site. I want to minimize the administration of this site and in doing so, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Ubuntu Samba Issues - need suggestion

Okay, here's the situation. Wanting to setup a Ubuntu 6.06 server to run a mid-size Web site. I want to minimize the administration of this site and in doing so, I want to share the /var/www/apache-default directory using Samba so that users can manipulate their HTML using simple copy and paste. I've done this for years using RHEL and SuSE; however, I'm inexperienced with Ubuntu and the sudo function.

I've created the Samba share and all is well on the network, we can access and read files but of course, as you may already know, we can't write to the directory. I know that this is a privilege issue and normally, I place an entry in smb.conf to force unix user = root so that users can read/write to the directory. So, how can this be achieved with Ubuntu? I'm still grasping this Sudo stuff!

Why not just enable the root account?
    Code:
    sudo passwd
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

u need to create users with smbpasswd so that ur people can access the share. I enable shares like this:

[msshare]
    comment = Mary Shelly Inc.
    path = /home/ms/
    force group = users
    read only = No
    writable = yes
    directory mask = 0775
    directory security mask = 00
    force directory security mode = 0777

now you could create a generic user for all your people to use like "web" or something with "smbpasswd -a web" then distribute the password out to everyone. Then "chown web:samba /home/sharename" and everyone will be able to access it thru windows machines on the network.

If ur client machines are all on a NT like domain this might help you as well.

"net rpc join member -U admin" admin being an account on the domain with admin rights. Ur machine won't show up in network neighborhood without doing this.

Neway hope this helps.

-Forgotten

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I can setup and manage Samba in about two minutes, so thanks for the suggestion forgottentq; however, about three years too late on that one. I will enable the root account, thanks antidrugue!

Lastly, I tested this method on a Debian Sarge install and it works, so I will more than likely stick with Debian and scrap Ubuntu. After all, Debian is the underpinnings of Ubuntu.