Find the answer to your Linux question:
Solved the other issues previously posted; however, I have noticed that the Debian camp handles Apache a little bit different to what I'm used to (RHEL, CentOS, SuSE). Now on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Setting up Apache 2 on Ubuntu Server 6.06

Solved the other issues previously posted; however, I have noticed that the Debian camp handles Apache a little bit different to what I'm used to (RHEL, CentOS, SuSE). Now on with the problem. Again, setting up an Apache server using Ubuntu - just to gain experience with Ubuntu. I've heard a lot about this distro and feel as if it is really up and coming.

Anyway, set everything else up in a CLI environment only and so far so good. Now, when I move the HTML pages to /var/www/apache2-default when I check for the presence of the Web site I am greeted with a directory tree of the parent directory. Now, what am I missing here? I edited the httpd.conf file to look for an index.htm and usually, this is all that is required on other Linux servers (i.e. CentOS and SuSE). However, I cannot get my index file to load - I only receive the directory tree when browsing http://serveripaddress. Any thoughts to what I'm missing here? Again, this is Apache2.

I never realized just how different the various distros actually are. Different places for .conf files and different locations for file storage. I've actually had to think on this Ubuntu box; however, it is good to expand one's horizons a bit.

TIA

There already should be a line like this in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf :
    Code:
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.cgi index.pl index.php index.xhtml
    By default it is there, and it does work. Maybe you can add "index.htm" to that?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Enthusiast
    That is the line that I edited - editing index.html to index.htm.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Now, I've noticed that when I start the httpd daemon I receive the following error "unable to determine fully qualifed domain name, using 127.0.0.1 instead." Now, this is a bit odd, since I've never really encounterd this error with other Apache installs. When viewing the apache2 log, I notice that a lot of restarts are being issued due to service stopping and restarting. ?????

With all of these errors, I'm sticking with the RHEL and SuSE camp.