Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old POS computer I'm trying to setup as a print server (Gentoo) for my home LAN. I can print a test page fine from the 'nix box, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Print Server to Windows Client

I have an old POS computer I'm trying to setup as a print server (Gentoo) for my home LAN. I can print a test page fine from the 'nix box, and I can see the printer from the windows clients in Network Neighborhood, so I know the printer is setup correctly and shared correctly. The problem I'm having is in the drivers. The printer is a USB connected HP PSC1310xi. At first, pointing the winxp machines at the printer would result in a "driver not found" type of error. I tried installing it with a generic driver (adobe postscript), and it would not print (just kinda disappears). The correct drivers have been installed on that machine in the past, so I could change the driver to those and still it would not work. Then I tried the Samba guide, and now windows installs the printer ok, but I cannot print to it (freezes the application), and if I try and go to printer properties, I get errors saying something like "parts of configuration will be inaccessible."

How can I share a printer attached to a linux box with windows machines. I also want the "Point and print" functionality as with a windows printer share.

This has been giving me a headache for weeks, and any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm actually about to start a smilar project but on a much larger scale.. (about 15 network printers all having seperate ip's.) When i get the driver issue worked out with the probabaly 6 different types of printers i'm going to have to setup.. i'll post any help i can/progress i've made. Should be within this coming week. sometime.