Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I hope somebody can help me with this: My box is HSPcomplete control panel VPS. I installed Squirrelmail and dovecot (IMAP) and can login to Squirrelmail and send emails ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Squirrelmail, dovecot IMAP and sendmail - how to make it work?

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with this:

My box is HSPcomplete control panel VPS.

I installed Squirrelmail and dovecot (IMAP) and can login to Squirrelmail and send emails OK with my account "username".

But I do not see the email sent to "username" to show up in SquirrelMail, though I can see it in file /var/spool/vmail/mydomain.com/mail/username

Obviously sendmail has no problem delivering it there (status is OK in /var/log/maillog as well).

The question is how do I "link" Squirrelmail to see those emails delivered in /var/spool/vmail/mydomain.com/mail/username ?

(has to be per usename though - not a "global" Squirrelmail config)

I read for more than an hour, but coulldn't find how to do ut anywhere on the web.

I tried by setting
    Code:
    default_mail_env = mbox:/var/spool/vmail/%d/%n
    in /etc/dovecot.conf, but ti doesn't work (ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: SELECT "INBOX" )

(and yes, I do restart dovecot every time I change its config).

Anybody with an idea?

Check your Dovecot setup, make sure that it has the correct location for the user mailbox (usually it's in /var/spool/mail/<username>, check by cd'ing into that directory and making certain that all is in order) and make sure Dovecot knows knows where to put additional mail directories - these are normally in the users home directory, but you specify the subdirectory name for all users.

Test you IMAP server first with a suitable IMAP client, such as evolution or kmail, before trying to get it to integrate with Squirrelmail; then you'll not be trying to config both at the same time, chasing errors between both seperate applications.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Unhappy IMAP mailbox locations

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Check your Dovecot setup, make sure that it has the correct location for the user mailbox (usually it's in /var/spool/mail/<username>, check by cd'ing into that directory and making certain that all is in order) and make sure Dovecot knows knows where to put additional mail directories - these are normally in the users home directory, but you specify the subdirectory name for all users.

Test you IMAP server first with a suitable IMAP client, such as evolution or kmail, before trying to get it to integrate with Squirrelmail; then you'll not be trying to config both at the same time, chasing errors between both seperate applications.

I'm trying to set up squirrelmail to use the proper mailbox organization, because past efforts cause the imap process to take over my cpu at 99% and hang the machine.

The trouble is, I'm so new to imap that some of what seems obvious, isn't.

"Check your Dovecot setup, make sure that it has the correct location for the user mailbox (usually it's in /var/spool/mail/<username>, check by cd'ing into that directory and making certain that all is in order) and make sure Dovecot knows knows where to put additional mail directories - these are normally in the users home directory, but you specify the subdirectory name for all users."

All well and good. BUT.... HOW do I check my dovecot setup? What tool? the squirrelmail config for dovecot shows :

Please select your IMAP server:
    bincimap = Binc IMAP server
    courier = Courier IMAP server
    cyrus = Cyrus IMAP server
    dovecot = Dovecot Secure IMAP server
    exchange = Microsoft Exchange IMAP server
    hmailserver = hMailServer
    macosx = Mac OS X Mailserver
    mercury32 = Mercury/32
    uw = University of Washington's IMAP server

quit = Do not change anything
    Command >> Command >> dovecot

imap_server_type = dovecot
    default_folder_prefix = <none>
    trash_folder = Trash
    sent_folder = Sent
    draft_folder = Drafts
    show_prefix_option = false
    default_sub_of_inbox = false
    show_contain_subfolders_option = false
    optional_delimiter = detect
    delete_folder = false

Does this mean that if I want /home/<userid> to be the destination for all new folders, I set "default_folder_prefix" to /home ....??? or /home/<userid> or what is the syntax? I'm really new to dovecot and imap in general, so please excuse the stupid questions.

I love Squirrelmail, but since it depends on IMAP, I need a little help with this configuration thingie. I'll get the Understanding IMAP book soon, but in the meantime ....

Please can any respondants copy my email? mairhtin at mairhtin dot com .... tnx

Mairhtin O'Feannag