Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been given the task to come up with a plan for adding some features to an existing subdomain on a Linux server. The subdomain is hitting a directory ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Subdomain/Redirect question

I have been given the task to come up with a plan for adding some features to an existing subdomain on a Linux server. The subdomain is hitting a directory that is inside the htdocs directory, but outside the www directory. (I'm guessing that htdocs/www is a standard setup in apache?) When a viewer goes to the subdomain, they are redirected to another site that has a newsletter service. The directory that matches the subdomain has one subdirectory with a php redirect in it. All directories/files added within the subdomain show URL not found in a browser. I'm not sure how all that works. Does anyone have suggestions for online articles where I can get some background information?

Thanks so much!

sounds to me like a simple smybolic link to the outside directory from the htdocs directory would cover this one.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by forgottentq
    sounds to me like a simple smybolic link to the outside directory from the htdocs directory would cover this one.
    I'm somewhat new to this type of server issues; so this one was interesting for me. Here are some of the specifics:
    1) We use NPO newsletter system. Their system parses out the account by the subdomain. So, we had to have a subdomain on our web host. That subdomain was directed to the IP address at NPO, which meant that anything I put in that directory was inert, and it would have required extensive changes to the newsletter account.
    2) I added another directory under htdocs, and put test files in it, but it wouldn't show up either. Our web host said something to the effect that our set up is an anomally, so they had to do some configuration by hand.
    3) Now my issues are linking and Dreamweaver file management issues, not Linux issues!
    4) I think it's funny how many people take a web design class that barely covers file management!!!