Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a fedora core 4 box acting as a gateway router for an windows 2003 active directory Lan. I have vsftpd setup on the linux box and it work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VSFTPD With Active Directory Authentication

I have a fedora core 4 box acting as a gateway router for an windows 2003 active directory Lan. I have vsftpd setup on the linux box and it work properly. I need to have all my AD users be able to access an ftp site but I want vsftpd to authenticate against the AD domain. I think this is possible with PAM and winbind, but Im not sure on the specifics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    I haven't heard of ADS authentication using VSFTPD and I would consult the project Web site for further information on this. I would be very interested to see if anybody has accomplished this.

Just Joined!
    I would wager openldap is the answer. the AD is actually a proprietary implementation of the ldap protocol used by microsoft. I know you can use openldap to use a linux server as an "AD" server for a windows client, and I know that vsftpd uses the accounts that are already set up on the machine its running on for access. so it seems running openldap and integrating with your current AD should allow you to use your AD accounts to access your ftp server. I know thats not a full walk through to your solution but I have never actually run openldap myself so I can't help you there and you said your vsftpd is running fine. hopefully that information can point you in the right direction though.