Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone I have a problem, I work in a company with 50 P.C. organized in 5 workgroups with Windows 98, 2000, NT, XP Workstations. I want to place this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiple samba domains

Hello everyone

I have a problem,

I work in a company with 50 P.C. organized in 5 workgroups with Windows 98, 2000, NT, XP Workstations.

I want to place this 50 P.C. , using Samba from Linux, in 5 Samba domains on a single linux machine.

I' ve made a Samba PDC, but i didn't succed to make another domain on the same machine.

There is anybody ho can help me ( example, configuration).

Thank you very much!!!

Just Joined!
    Wow, adriano! And I thought I had a problem getting a Samba server set up on just a three computer home network, all of them connected via a router.

All I can recommend is to get the excellent book called 'Using Samba' written by Jay Ts, Robert Eckstein, and David Collier-Brown. It's published by O'Reilly, so you know it's a good book. Samba is a massive beast.

Good luck!

Linux User
    I haven't dome the multilple domains that you are trying, but I would look at http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/

Linux User

idea

Can you not run a samba a few times - 5 each with a diff conf file and smb.users etc.

I've seen this done with apache so that you can restart the process without taking out the other virtual webservers.

Don't know how you'd do it though.

Why do you want 5 domains? Isn't that over complicating things a bit.

Why not set up one samba server and make a decision to move all the XP machines onto it. Then as each client gets upgraded or replaced they become a member of the new samba domain.

or just use 5 samba servers. for this number of clients you just need a couple of P1 500s with about 64Mb ram no GUI installs. You should be able to bodge together enough machines of this kind of spec.

About books: I use the SAMS teach yourself samba in 24 hours. which is excellent but doesn't work with the new versions of samba. all the new features are missing and many of the vars don't work in the same way.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    Sorry, kpzani, but that wouldn't be possible, since once one Samba server has started listening to port 139, no others can do the same. Apache can do that since it's specially engineered to do so - the different processes share the file descriptor that they get over the forks and stuff.

I don't know how to answer the original question though. Sorry about that, but I really don't know much about Windows, and thus I don't know much about Samba either.

Linux Newbie
    Usually a company has one main PDC, with a couple of sub PDC's. Make one PDC. And make a couple of sub-PDC's. Join these sub-PDC's to your main PDC.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!